Thread: Dead-Ended WIP for the July Challenge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Dead-Ended WIP for the July Challenge

I stared a rough layout for the July challenge, by reading the entire Grimm's Fairy-Tales over at Project Gutenberg

I will not have anymore time to spend on this, so I am dropping it, but thought some might find it interesting. I just started with a blank map, and the first story. As I came across any kind of geographic reference (hill, brook, castle, town, etc.) I dropped it on the map. I also used the times proved (traveled the afternoon) to get a rough idea of distances between features using the D&D guidelines on overland travel.

I re-used as many features as I could, intertwining them (i.e. the same village or castle from various stories was only drawn once).

The numbers all over the map reflect the chapter (or story) number of the source I used. I got 1/2 way through before realizing I (once again) bit off way more than I could chew).

Created in Inkscape.

Here it is in all it's never to be finished glory

-Rob A>

That is really neat! I love that approach and you actually got pretty far. Great effort and although it isn't finished it can still serve as a great resource. Thank you for sharing!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

Yeah, I certainly enjoyed hearing about your thought processes in going to read up on Grimm and sort of taking a tour of the country.