Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New map on concept art needs a bit of love

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Well, in all honesty when I posted my first map here, if I would have had a reception like that, I likely never would have posted again. And it probably would have been my last map. The original intent was to make a one-off wallpaper, and then move on with my life. It's the friendly atmosphere and the genuine willingness to help others improve that's kept me going and turned me into a mapping machine

Perhaps they have a different approach on that forum, but I'm glad I found this place first.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    It's the friendly atmosphere and the genuine willingness to help others improve that's kept me going and turned me into a mapping machine.
    They created a monster!
    Just kidding, you are absolutely right. This is one of the rare friendly islands out there in Internet Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Gawd! now we are becoming a mapping support group...
    We're pretty carebear. I didn't even know people like y'all survived on the internet. Even parenting forums are meaner.

I have done my fair share of trolling. Having been a power gamer I can safely say it kinda comes with the territory
    Carebear is more constructive, though

Oh, as for trolling, I recently found this gem of a game:
    http://www.forumwarz.com
    It's an RPG where you level by trolling forums.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-31-2009 at 04:30 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Apparently, Conceptart likes old concepts...much too conservative and quite contradictory to the idea of "concept" being to push the envelop. Artistic creativity and execution like that needs to be fostered and developed instead of having a few people say "give us the old stuff". Granted that the hand-drawn style is very difficult to get good results with but his looks hand painted. My guess, though, is that the other people are just sitting in the background (like usual) and not offering up much but just saving it to their hard drives in order to emulate it sometime in the future. Maps like that would get a Feature here all of the time - and already do - because of the quality of the vision and execution. I wonder if GP's lil butt-spanking will send some of those guys over here to "meh" our stuff. I guess we're gonna find out But at least we'll welcome them, like we do everyone, and continue on our merry way doing what we do because it's fun and we want to get better. And besides, the comments came from level 1 gladiators...is that like newb?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    That's why we don't ever discuss politics or religion here. Good thing too.
    And the one time we discussed religion, specifically the new edition of Dungeons and Dragons, it almost went wrong
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    I have done my fair share of trolling. Having been a power gamer I can safely say it kinda comes with the territory
    Carebear is more constructive, though

Oh, as for trolling, I recently found this gem of a game:
    http://www.forumwarz.com
    It's an RPG where you level by trolling forums.
    Silly....but fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    And the one time we discussed religion, specifically the new edition of Dungeons and Dragons, it almost went wrong
    Yep earned my the 'honor' of Banning the first NON-SPAMMER user too
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast