Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghoraja Juun - Ashtalarea

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip Ghoraja Juun - Ashtalarea

Just a placeholder for now as I've not done enough to be post-worthy.

I do have a bit of a dilemma ... This continent suffered a cataclysmic event in the past which broke it apart (the fallout was largely limited only to this continent and some surrounding islands due to intervention by various deities). My question is how do I somewhat realistically break it apart?

I don't want to go to the bother of creating tectonic plates and all that shtuff. My current plan is to create a rough 'sketch' of the original continent, then use the "render clouds/threshold" method to create the new shattered look.

I'm open to other ideas if any one has them. I experimented with some of the various filters, etc. in Photoshop but with limited to poor results.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What sort of event? If it was a meteor then I'd expect there to be something of a "pond ripple" effect that creates rings. If it was an earthquake then I'd expect lots of cracks and canyons. If it was a super volcano blowing it apart then who knows. If it was a god just smashing it I'd expect something like broken glass in a spiderweb pattern.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    What sort of event?
    It was a massive battle of the gods and their followers that 'overloaded' the mesh of magical flows that surround the planet and traumatized the 'Gaia'. So there were various earthquakes, tornadoes, 'eruptions', etc. Kind of a combination of everything you mentioned.

I think that's why I am having such a hard time figuring out how to handle it. One thing I do know is that I really don't want a big crater. I think the ripple effect may be the best route.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Perhaps a combination of all the effects representing several clashes between divine beings. In some parts it might be cracked apart, in others it might be mirror broken and a third ripple or explosive. a huge volcano might erupt and build high only to tilt and burn through its rim at one point and sort of melt down and leave a hugh canyon into which the ocean will spill.
    Need a name fast or inspiration for one? Click me

Some good ideas there Lucas...thx

Been experimenting with different ways to break up the continent, so far still nothing I'm really happy with.

I did get some OK results with clouds, the Twirl filter then Threshold. May go back and play with that some.

Maybe try breaking the original continent into several irregular sections (on separate layers, but still forming one continent), first, and then just sliding each of the sections outwards a little bit, like the continent was cracked and sent 'outwards'. And then throw pretty much all the aforementioned ideas on it, with especially the idea of the ripple effect near the "center" of the spread. Might want to rotate some of the continents, slightly, as well.

As for the tectonics, such a scenario would be nuts, at best, I think. But you said you weren't worried about that, so I'm not sure how much it matters. If you're worried about Dan Browning it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.DanBrowned), just throw some oceanic ridges and trenches in the gaps and say "Eh, close enough; I blame the wizard."

-asp

Wip Finally something that looks half-way decent :)

After playing around with all kinds of different ideas and coming up with a big, fat nothing. I tried using this filter set I had downloaded a long time ago and never installed. It has a fairly customizable water-ripple filter and I used that combined with clouds and threshold to get the image below.

The original continent is kinda blocky and I may re-do it completely, but this at least hints at some kind of cataclysmic ripple effect (at least I think it does ).

I'll still need to go in and fill in or erase various areas such as the extreme north, that wasn't affected as much.

So let me know what you think, good, bad, stupid, whatever...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashtalarea_v3 copy.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	16582  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good. You can use that as a mask for a bump map or use it to define islands.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks good. You can use that as a mask for a bump map or use it to define islands.
    Thanks...pretty much what I had in mind. Still debating on wither I'm going to recreate the original continent or just go with my 'sketch'.

I'll let it percolate for another day or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast