Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inconstant posting

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Post Inconstant posting

So... my company recently clamped down on a lot of internet traffic, via a draconian "WebSense" policy, and this site has got caught in the crosshairs. So... my posting will be very intermittent (especially since I rarely have time to post during the weekends).

I'll probably be checking in during my work hours on a rare occassion (like now), simply because there's one flaw in the websense wall: our wi-fi access point. Whenever I'm connected both over the office Lan and the Wi-fi, I think I get a second MAC that allows me to get around WebSense. But the wi-fi is... how shall I say... inconstant? It's a pretty crappy connection, and is usually not working.

Alas, poor CG, I knew thee well!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Ah yes. WebSense, how I hate thee.
    WebSense is blocking many sites at work, inclusing this website because it falls in the category: "Message boards and forums."

Working in an IT department we convinced our superiors we needed access to message boards and forums to research certain problems. The rest is history
    (this is definitely not a lie as we really do look for solutions on forums).

WebSense is draconian... there's some workarounds though. Find a good anonymous webproxy (of course there's a constant war between WebSense and the proxies, so it's hard to find one that isn't blocked in the category "proxies") or plug in an internet phone and use it to browse the web. These solutions could get you in trouble of course

I am kinda crusading against WebSense as the moment, as I work not only in the IT department, but specifically the internet department. It's sometimes difficult to do my job with all the sites that get blocked. For a recent project I had to visit some gambling sites for example. Joyous times where had by all, before I got access to those sites through the company network
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-31-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Tried a proxy ?

I can understand why companies want to use Websense though. I know too many people who are wasting valuable time...

Not me of course. Not me
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Oh, and for a list of webproxies:
    http://www.tech-faq.com/proxy.shtml

Probably all blocked by Websense though

Disclaimer: using a proxy you might leak information to the proxy owner, so beware.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-31-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Setup your own private proxy... see web sense get that one heh heh. But if you so desire then look into port forwarding a bizarre port and hooking it up to a remote desktop like VNC with a strong password running at home - no more web sense woes. The issue is not getting around web sense but getting around company IT usage policy so that your job safe to do it.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Can't really set up a proxy at home (don't really have a regular network connection there). Anyway... not really sure I'm a capable hacker.

But... here I am and I find, surprisingly, that the wifi is working just fine today. Which means I get a second MAC address and a work-around. I'm a bit confused, since for the past month the wifi has been spotty at best.

Just in case, when I get time, I'll have to look into some options/solutions for when the wifi does go down (and I fully expect it to).
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

We have websence here at work and it blocked CG as well. Until I asked the guy in charge of the web security if this site is a problem to view. Once he had a look-through, he unblocked it.

Just letting you all know that exceptions CAN (but not nessisarily will) be made to blocked sites. Worth a try I think.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

At work they have www.cartographersguild.com blocked but not forum.cartographersguild.com and that makes my life much easier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast