Thread: WIP - Following a tutorial

Guild Member

Post WIP - Following a tutorial

I found the following tutorial from another of the de.icio.us bookmarking site users who had this guild bookmarked as well.

The link to the tutorial I am following is as follows...

http://www.santharia.com/workshop/maps_1.htm

After about two hours of playing around and following it, I made the following attached image.

This fellow shows a few excellent methods mor making beautiful maps and if I recall, I spotted a map in the featured area that seems to use this fella's style.

Very nice and old skool looking... I like it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	penumbra.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	532  

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It just so happens the Santharian Dream maps have been featured here and Artimidor is one of our members. Check out: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=464 and http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=499

Looking good on your end too. Though it looks like it could use a little sharpening.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Guild Member

Yargh, looks like I set save quality too low. I'll tweak that when next I work on it and update the post. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh and, that Santharian site is all around awesome, I went to the top level to look around and, well, nice work over there!
    Last edited by Duvik; 07-17-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Guild Member

Alrighty, continuing with what I've learned from the tutorial, I went ahead and restarted this map but, I changed it to a color version with more land area.

Somehow, it just isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the pure gray scale but, I'm gonna keep trying.

edit: Is it just me or... do those mountains in the gray scale map I posted look less like mountains and more like very well formed piles of dung? What can we learn from this kids?

Don't bring yer mountains to a sharp peak unless ye be more experienced with shading.

Ye can find yer own mountains of knowledge of this sort in me up and coming new book, "All I need to know, I learned on the net" which will be available to the public as soon as ye start sending me cash and motivate me to write it.

----

final note: Well, at least I can finally argue back when someone says to me... "TJ, you can't draw $--- "... my response would be, "You sir are wrong. I can in fact draw a perfectly formed dung heap, here, I'll link you to it." And the rest is history...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colorSanMap.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	993.1 KB 
ID:	536  
    Last edited by Duvik; 07-18-2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: adding an observation