Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed Fantasy World

Great map. I really like the textures and colors and especially the small mountain on the island, that looks like a rising demonic face.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, especially for your first attempt at this kind of map.

Couple of things that seemed 'off' to me (and these are just my opinions, do with them as you will).

1. Mountain tops seem awfully bright white - are they largely snow covered? If so then ignore this otherwise you might want tone it down a bit.
    2. Continental Shelf - Drop off seems kind of abrupt to me. I think I might soften it a bit - again if you intended it to be that drastic then by all means don't change it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the new forrest textures a lot! How'd you do that? My only suggestion would be that they look a bit too shiny and plastic-like. You might want to tone down the highlight on them.

The mouintains ARE largely snow-covered but I agree that it's a little over the top... I intend on fixing it if I can... As for the continental shelf it's not meant to necessarily accurately represent the actual shelf.

The forest was done by using the brush tool with a high amount of scatter and pen-sensitivity, then texturing them with the tree texture from Pasis. I just need to change the highlights from white to a light gree to fix the "plasticness"
    Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work

I am really impressed! I should learn to make something of similar quality.

If I could give just one suggestion it would be to make the "softer" areas (light green and desert) more grainy. Some sort of slightly rough texture maybe. Right now they look smoothly "air-brushed." Just my opinion...

I'm excited to see more toponyms on there too!

Okay, fixed both the Mountains and the forests. Also tried to add a little to the desertish areas but didn't turn out terribly well.

Not happy with how the text is looking so took it off for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_really copy1.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	16497  
    Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The snow still seem overboard to me - I wonder if maybe its more of the highlight of your mountain bevel that's causing it.

Overall it's quite nice.. keep up the good work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    The snow still seem overboard to me - I wonder if maybe its more of the highlight of your mountain bevel that's causing it.

Overall it's quite nice.. keep up the good work.
    I dunno, depending on the scale represented, the snow pack could be just fine.

Okay, so the map proper is done as far as I'm concerned... All I hafta do is label... Which I'm in the process of doing as you can see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_really1111.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	16528  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It looks awesome, dude. I really like the way you set up the compass; that's a good idea.

What font did you use for the northern nations? I've been looking for one like that...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast