Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hexingtide [WIP]

Post Hexingtide [WIP]

2015 Updates Begin on Post #55

Roughly a year ago I stumbled across the forum here and put up my worldbuilding map project under the "Umbraland" title. However, I didn't develop it any further, and my little pet opus went through about another four names. On a whim at work one day I decided to just temporarily suspend the naming issue and codename it SLUG. It's worked pretty well for me so far.

So over the past couple weeks, I've started to pick up the SLUG project again, trying to mix the antique and worn map style that I started earlier, and combo it with a more vibrant color pallete and suggest a pseudo-satellite/realistic style. I'm approaching that by having the antique elements frame the continent which itself will be of the more realistic style.

We'll see how it works out!

Here's today's WIP - please ignore the lack of rivers and the crappy suggestions of mountains. I got ahead of myself after drooling over Tear's Westros map. If I was smart, I'd go back and place the mountains, make them look good, and then set up the river systems before marching into texturing.

But if I was really smart, I would have been working on my portfolio redesign and emailing some clients for the past three hours - not working on the map!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapWip-9-1.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	16469  
    Last edited by Will Phillips; 06-11-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dude, way cool texturing on the land...looks painted. Very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Dude, way cool texturing on the land...looks painted. Very nice.
    What he said.

I also really like the wood-cut-ish coastlines; they contrast really well with the terrain.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I could make a suggestion about the borders, especially on the right hand side, it's hard to see some of the numbers and such - maybe a 1 or 2 px stroke that matches the background texture?

Really, it's a darn fine map, I'm very impressed with the land effects! And interesting background as well, if you'd told me this was all scanned in I would have believed it.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I could make a suggestion about the borders, especially on the right hand side, it's hard to see some of the numbers and such - maybe a 1 or 2 px stroke that matches the background texture?
    Yeah, the latitude numbers are going to end up being brought in from the borders so you can see them clearly - it just hasn't happened yet!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Fair! By the way, i do love the moon phases too

I would say more about the map portion, but i don't think I can expand on what I already complimented on without seeming redundant

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, my only real suggestion would be to lighten up the rhumb lines, or do no have them show in the lakes/inland seas.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Spent the better part of the evening working out a new mountain & texture process (lots of layers building on top of each other combined with a gradient map of the typical topographic colors to help me gauge height, basically) and come up with this so far.

I really like the general effect. A whole lot. I'm not exactly pleased with the mountains and parts of the texture themselves, so I'll be going back this weekend to tweak that. Tonight, I just wanted to get the basic process down.

After that, then the rivers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapWip-9-2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	16501  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Very very very cool

Thanks! I think tonight I'm going to work some on the rivers, and then backtrack some and keep tweaking the mountains & topography.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast