Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hexingtide [WIP]

Alright, started work on the river systems tonight and got about halfway throug the major "big" rivers before wanting to just fall asleep on my keyboard. So, not much of an update, but I also adjusted the style of he coastline to work better with the rivers, threw the folds' shading back in over the land, and tweaked the blue ocean coloring a bit.

Now, to bed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapWip-9-4.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	16558  

This is starting to look great!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Not too much to report here - more of a "bump" to say I'm still here! Just been too busy on the real world from of redesigning my portfolio and beginning the job hunt to worry about the map.

So, in the little bit of time I've had, I've mostly been working away on the river systems - holy crap, this has been super tedious work. The update today is just a hack job working briefly to start to get a feel for my text layers - at least as far as nations and cities go. I'll handle major geographic regions differently, but not sure how at this point.

Also, last night I took some time to stop and relook at how I'm organizing my map topography for this project. I'm going to have 11 different files that will eventually go into the final map! That's fun.

Name:	map_text_styles.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	16866  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the labels so far.

You might try a dark stroke around them to give a little contrast with the terrain.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Does anyone get to a point in their map making where they just want to raze it all to the ground and start over?

Everything is still in play in the world design, but I just can't seem to settle down on a continental shape that I really like and be able to fill out all the different parts.

Blarg.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

You should talk to AslanC.

4 months later, we finally have a map he's happy with!

Really though, I like your landshape, I wouldn't scrap it if it were me

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheImperial View Post
    Does anyone get to a point in their map making where they just want to raze it all to the ground and start over?
    Happens to me all the time, can't tell you how many different versions of my homebrew maps I've created and scrapped over the years.

Even the one I posted here a few months ago I don't really like anymore.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's why I don't even try to make my own personal world. Instead I make lots of little worldlets so that I don't become too wrapped up in it and if I don't like it then I make a new one. That's why I make a new map every two to three weeks and post it up. Personal worlds are too...personal The personal world that I have in my head will forever remain there for if I let it out it will no longer retain it's special importance...sort of like virginity, I guess you could say. With new cartographers whipping out sexy new eye candy every few days my special world will quickly fade and eyes will wander. And once that's gone then nothing will inspire me so much and things begin to lose meaning and beauty and it becomes humdrum and average.

Now if only I could write as easily as I can philosophize things would be much easier
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by TheImperial View Post

Everything is still in play in the world design, but I just can't seem to settle down on a continental shape that I really like and be able to fill out all the different parts.

Blarg.
    Well, it took me six months, but I believe I've finally settled down on a visual shape I really like. Sheesh!

So, I took the weekend to try and get a lot of work knocked out. The map on the right is the earlier version, while the more ocean-blue dominated version on the left is the most recent update I saved out yesterday around midnight.

I really like the typeface I've chosen (Fertigo Pro FTW!) and believe the type styles are working pretty good (that orange pretty much blew me away).

I wasn't planning on using a lot of color outside of the continent itself, but after seeing how the orange and the turquoise ocean made everything really pop, I think I'm going to be changing directions visually and going with a much more colorful look.

The land texture and color is getting there. Still got some touch-ups to do and those mountain ranges need some major work (Oh look! Sudden clumps of gray!)

But we're getting there.

Still a ton of labeling to do, along with icongraphy, and the making of roads / paths in Photoshop. But, that's more to do with the worldbuilding end of things than a strict cartographic problem.

Hope you guys like it so far!

Name:	MapWip-2010-5May-23.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	25072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapWip-2010-5May-21.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	25073  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

WOW. Those are probably in the top 3 maps I've seen posted here. The colors are just amazingly beautiful, especially in the one on the left, and you're right, that orange text is perfect.

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but the one thing I'd change is to make the lat/long numbers stand out; right now they blend into the frame border.

Definitely repped.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast