Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Hexingtide [WIP]

Indeed they are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Those borders are killer! Did you draw those yourself?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks! I can't take too much credit, though, the borders and corners were cleaned up, edited, and re-purposed from a set of different woodcuts and vintage maps I have saved. I wanted to get in the ballpark with the look and don't have any illustration skill myself.

Regardless, I'm happy with them thus far.

And the project keeps rolling along. Some minor tweaks to the landmass and I'm finally very happy with the layout of the continent. I think part of it is that I've finally been able to nail down exactly all the general/larger cultures and states that will make up things.

Moving forward, I'm going to be separating this project into two different maps:

1. A satellite-like shaded relief map. Focus is on realism and a modern, National Geographic-esque style of presentation. I'd like to use this map to locate major cities, trade routes and goods, geographic features, and political labels.

2. More of an "antique" fantasy map. I may or may not use the shaded relief topography I've come up with. That design element is still up in the air, but this will be more of a classic woodcut and ink with borders on parchment style that has already been displayed recently in this thread.

Here's the modern atlas so far. Text styles are a mess, there are no rivers, and the land texture and topographic/relief overlay still needs a lot of work. Everything needs a lot of work, really.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HXTD_Map_Wip_2014_03Mar_04.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	62057

This is coming along very nicely.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Aw jeez, four and a half years of tinkering and fiddling and not a complete map to show for it?

That needs to change, and I think I'm getting close.

Here's an update of more 1920s & 30s based design cues along with the wear and tear effects.

Land has undergone a minor revision that is not reflected here.

Still trying to find the sweet spot of the colorful country borders and country name designs. I'll get there.

Figured it's been a while, and I needed to update the Guild here.

Name:	HXTD_Map_2015_05May_28.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	836.9 KB 
ID:	73733

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'll follow this thread until you finish it! LOL Your stuff is awesome and I wish you'd do more of it; I really like this latest version.

Yeah I'm with Diamond, wish you popped in more often to showcase more of your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Banned User

Nice style! And by the way, hello

Minor update here (sans the grunge, wear-and-tear effects):

• Think the nation-state labels are locked in. I really like them.
    • Solved the hatching problem by moving away from hatching lines altogether in favor of a dot pattern. It's subtle enough to not be overpowering when zoomed in close, but still recognizable when you're zoomed out looking at the map as a whole.
    • Obviously more landform and terrain updates. We'll see if I don't go back and tweak the terrain layers. Feeling good about the shapes, though (but I've said that before).
    • I've gone back to a monocolor nation border approach. It's clean, but I worry now the nations themselves aren't as easy to parse as a result. Still not happy, but I like the linework itself with seperate coast blue lines and border brown lines.

Name:	HXTD_Map_2015_06June_09.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	73986

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've split the map up into two pieces: one political map, and another natural resources map.

Keeping with the 20s-30s timeframe setting, here's the latest WIP of the Natural Resources map.

Still tinkering with A TON of the map, particularly how to display the biomes / land use areas, but overall, I like the setup.

Name:	HXTD_NaturalMap_150613AM.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	74013

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast