Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terralia

Wip Terralia

Hello guild,

It has been a while since I posted on these forums. Now I am back with a new map. It is a continent map consisting of four major islands. The size of the continent is a bit bigger than Europe. The basic shape of the continent is mostly done, it only needs a few minor tweaks. I started working on the hills and mountains, but I am not quite satisfied and I will work some more on them.

I am working in Photoshop with pattern layers and layer masks, so everything is non-destructible and I can easily edit anything in a later stage. This is also my first attempt at cartography with my Wacom Intuos tablet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cgwip01.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	873.5 KB 
ID:	73829

This looks really nice! I think it would look better if the sea had a nice texture to it as well, I really like the way you have the mountains on the land.

Good start. Agree with Domino's comments about the sea. The land looks great though.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Yeah, the sea is really bad...

...Luckily it is just a place-holder ;-) The sea still needs to be done, but I like to put in a solid blue layer untill I start working on the water texture. That works better for me than a blank background.

Mountains seem too large for the scale. Those northern volcanoes are roughly half of Ireland in size, each. I don't want to put all your work down, but may I suggest that you save a simplified version of your map (say 800 xp wide, low-quality jpeg) and use it as an overlay in Google Earth. If you haven't done this yet, I think your view on the geographical features of your map, such as mountains, islands and lakes, would be really improved.

Personally, I don't buy the landshape, but I don't need convincing as long as you are happy with it.
    Last edited by Pixie; 06-05-2015 at 10:35 AM.

I like the mountains! They remind me of the way I did mountains on this map: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=21476
    I think you managed to get a sharper look on your mountains - I wish I had time to work on that style more.

Thank you for the tip pixie. It is very useful. I already knew that the mountains don't match with the scale of the map. I thought about making them smaller, but if I scaled them down to the right size you wouldn't even be able to see them on the map and I want them on the map as eyecatchers. I really like the way that -Max- emphesised the points of interest in his map of Silvarin and I want to try something similar.

Carnifex, I really like your Riverlands map.

Progress is slow, but steady. here an update to my map. Any thoughts on the color overlay?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cgwip02.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	74133

Guild Novice

Good map, I like the landmass. One question, is there a tutorial for this kind of mountains?

I like your new colour palette, but I'm very fond of darker, desaturated colours. I did like the brighter green you had in your first map, but I think this works too. The sea area is much improved.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast