Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a Fantasy City with City Works

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool way to develop a city, might just be worth buying the supplement (even if i don't game anymore).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Fascinating! I think this is a great approach to city mapping. It's almost like rolling up a character and allocating points to various attribItutes.
    Thanks. I like it a lot and have used it in the past to build cities for D&D games. Figured it would be worth actually posting the full process to show off Mike Mearls' great work.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    Fascinating. This CityWorks sounds good. However, my main interest is modern/futuristic cities - I wonder if the same rules apply to modern city creation?
    I don't think it would work all that well. While the number of roads would still be pretty accurate for most cities as long as you remember that a "road" in this mapping system is a major interstate type road, and not a typical road... but the reality is that a lot of modern cities have been through much stronger urban planning or are so old that they have been "revised" multiple times. The system in this book is VERY D&D-centric.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I looked for this supplement at Fantasy Flight's website and couldn't find it ... do you have a link? I'm thinking of buying it.

Another great city-creation resource is A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe by e23 (SJGames), but it's not as detailed as what you're describing (it's for building the whole kingdom, and cities are just a chapter).

Looks like its an older supplement. I found some used ones on Amazon. I may have to check some of my local shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I looked for this supplement at Fantasy Flight's website and couldn't find it ... do you have a link? I'm thinking of buying it.
    They sold out all the stock ages ago in one of their $5 book sales.
    EDIT: And pulled all their d20 material down from the PDF sales sites.

Another great city-creation resource is A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe by e23 (SJGames), but it's not as detailed as what you're describing (it's for building the whole kingdom, and cities are just a chapter).
    Not by Steve Jackson Games - A Magical Medieval Society is by Expeditious Retreat Press, a couple of really hoopy froods who really know where their towels are (and the owners of YourGamesNow)

Not only that, but you can download the City chapter from that book for free.

A Magical Medieval Society - City Guide
    Last edited by Dyson Logos; 09-06-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ah, I stand corrected - SJGames is just where I bought it The whole book is fantastic.

Cheers Dyson, I'll take a look at that freebie and see if there is anything there I can bring into the 21st (or 31st) century. Have some rep!

The same company has another freebie at e23:
    A Magical Society: Guide to Mapping
    I'll check that out, too.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12