Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farathor

Man! I was in such a hurry that I didn`t noticed all those things, and you`re absolutely right!
    I got to study more geology, geography and stuff... sorry guys!
    Thanks for notice that!
    Concept Artist
    rodwindtart.carbonmade.com
    rodwindtart.blogspot.com

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

No problemo. Good luck with all future mapping endeavors!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hang out here for a month or two and you'll be up to speed in no time.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Mistakes or not the style of this map and its execution is so... beautiful that it makes my eyes bleed!

To stem off from the critiques and to inflate what must now be your now two-dimensional ego, I love this map. It's absolutely perfect for the D&D campaign I DM. The only problem is the location names (I already have established ones! ) It's beautiful artwork, though.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Personally, I love the desert and the ice lands, but I find that the rest of the land looks a bit... dull in comparison. maybe next time use some more vibrant colors for the rest of the land.

otherwise great map, I am really fond of this type of style (though I lack the ability or patience to use it)

Blog Entries

Average on this board is a very high standard, and I hold entries to it. But what you're got here is above average in presentation. It is a fascinating and enjoyable piece of artwork, and from that perspective, worthy of a high mark.

From a technical aspect, it has some challenges, which you've heard some of already. What I am going to tell you is not an effort to get you to change anything that you've done, because I would enjoy having your map framed and hanging on my wall, but to put a bug in your ear in case you decide to continue making maps and don't want them to suffer from technicalities.

First and most glaring is SCALE. Looking at your map and the details, I concluded that the details were a bit exaggerated if the continent was about 500 miles across. That is forgivable because we often exaggerate for effect. But the scale of the land mass is enormous according to your scale marker, which makes some things unreasonable. An hour or two with Google Earth is a cheap date and helps you to learn the scale of things at certain resolutions. I often work with maps at one pixel per mile, so that's where my expectations are set, but you can right-size anything with a little time and effort.

Some of the things that are too big for the map: The lone mountain, most egregious of all of your mountains, with a base perhaps 500 kilometers. The lakes are all the size of France or all of Europe--not impossible but consider the geo-techtonic gymnastics that would be required for that to occur. The forests are gobsmackingly huge, with the largest covering an area 2/3 the size of the US. That isn't eterna, that's infinita.

Again, future reference, because I can see you creating a masterpiece some day that doesn't suffer from these faults. Your technique is stunning and the conceptualization impressive. Other than the over-saturation of frame (gaudy) and the obscuring clouds (too easy to do and we see a lot of it), it's darned-near perfect. I gave it a rating that less than 10% of the entries I rate ever get. Bravo and I hope to see more from you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12