Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farathor

Map Farathor

Hey there! My first post here showing my very first map.
    Well, I don`t have much to say about it, cause in fact, my client kinda drew it for me with pencils(simple sketch) and I had liberty to create some stuff. I don`t know much about the history here, but its obviously a Medievel Continent called Farathor. It has Maya Ruins, Desert, Volcanos and Ice Mountains. I basecally used some weird brushes, and printscreens from google maps. All done in photoshop.
    Hope you like it, also critics and comments are very welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farathor2.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	869.0 KB 
ID:	16489  
    Concept Artist
    rodwindtart.carbonmade.com
    rodwindtart.blogspot.com

As I have already said, beautiful map. The desert and large mountain almost in the center of the map are very well done.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I like it very much. It's an interesting mix of realism and painted symbol style.

The only things that I think are a tad too dominant are the heavy clouds and the highly saturated yellow used for the border.

But that's nitpicking... I really hope to see more from you.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks very nice.

I really like the border but agree with Tear that it a little overly-yellow (and yes I am nit-picking too )
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can understand why you went with the high gold look so I'm thinking that maybe if there was more to the frame around the edge that maybe you could sort of hide it a little bit. No real need to see the clouds and ocean around the edge. Then again, if you want the focus to be on the map then I'd tone the gold down...more of a sand color. The mountains are superb as are the forests. The colors are great and it has a painted feel that I really like. If I could do something half as good I'd be happy. All around, great job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Praise Its a beaut!

I knew you'd get a better reception here! And you've created a beautiful one at that. I agree with some of the criticisms mentioned by the others. Still its very well done. Now that you've posted it here, have some REP!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Sure bud! ehehe
    It`s awesome to have good feedback like this! I`ll certainly improve on the next one! Thank you all for crit and comment. I`m glad you enjoyed
    Concept Artist
    rodwindtart.carbonmade.com
    rodwindtart.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Yes I thought you got a bit of a harsh set of critiques on the other forum too. I cant find much wrong with the map at all. All the rivers seem particularly well placed - we have river police here cos its a rarity to see a new map maker get it right. Not much to say about it other than maybe the clouds could have been above the gold frame but yes its all very nit picky comments. Marvelous stuff.

Welcome to friendly pastures.

There are some weird rivers there, but I guess that's just the way your client drew them. The roads are quite difficult to see when they're crossing some terrain types; west of Aquila and around Gallena for example.

Most of the mountains are excellent, but the ones next to Senille by the west coast seem of poorer quality. Perhaps they are just a bit too pointy.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It's got a beautiful, painterly quality to it. I much approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Yes I thought you got a bit of a harsh set of critiques on the other forum too. I cant find much wrong with the map at all. All the rivers seem particularly well placed - we have river police here cos its a rarity to see a new map maker get it right. Not much to say about it other than maybe the clouds could have been above the gold frame but yes its all very nit picky comments. Marvelous stuff.

Welcome to friendly pastures.
    Actually, I noted roughly 2 river infractions.

1) The Rio Jade / Jade River seems to connect the Golfo de Mortar to the sea in the south. But rivers don't flow from sea to sea (this was the problem for fourteenth century explorers looking for the "Northwest passage"), they flow from high ground (mountains, etc.) to low ground (the sea).

2) The Lago de Aztec / Aztec Lake on the island in the northwest has three rivers exiting the lake and flowing toward the sea. This is a pretty unusual configuration, as normally a lake can have several input rivers, but usually only one output river that flows from the sea. So, as a corallary to the first note, you may have one or more rivers flowing from mountains into the lake, but usually only one flow out of the lake and toward the sea will dominate.

These are technical nitpicks, and speak nothing of the beautiful artistic style of the map as a whole, which is very pleasing. In particular, I like the way the rivers look, even if a couple of them do some very strange things.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast