Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** September 2009 Challenge - Passage of Time ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post *** September 2009 Challenge - Passage of Time ***

This month's challenge will be, of course, the Passage of Time concept map suggested by DevinNight. The idea here is to do a map that shows how the passage of time has affected an area, how big that area is is up to you. How you represent the passage of time is also up to you. It's basically an anything goes type of map so long as you show the main basic prerequisite...the effect of time on an area. Here are some examples:

- You could show the various additions to a castle and how it grows (structure mapping).
    - You could show how deep the dwarves have dug their caves over time (dungeon mapping).
    - You could do multiple maps that shows a transition from village to city (town mapping).
    - You could show the travels of some particular hero and the battles he fought (regional mapping).
    - You could show the extent of the Mongol Horde over various decades (continent mapping).
    - You could show the effects of terraforming a planet or the effects of global warming on ours (planet mapping).
    - You could show the voyage of the Enterprise and the regions they discover (Galaxy mapping).

Any size, any, scale, any scope, don't let my examples restrict you. If you're going to do multiple maps then please composite them together into one image. A legend might be required to explain the various things in your map so don't forget that. This challenge will end on or about the 25th of September...when I get the time to close it

You've got just over three weeks so don't bite off more than you can chew...do something that you know that you can get done and if there is time left over then you spend that time tweaking and fiddling, we love tweaking and fiddling, don't we?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice.

I'm a bit swamped at the moment, but I'll try to get something in later this month. Again, great idea DevinNight.

I'ma gonna try and participate in this
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Me too...maybe this time I won't be so rushed to finish it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post My thought...

I'm not, but if I entered, I see something as simple as a fortress, palace, temple (?) in pristine "in use" condition, then 800 years later as a haunted, abandoned site. Would work for a storyline like, the adventure party ventures into the haunted ruins at such and such place, encounters a ghost who desires freedom into an afterlife, he needs an item that was lost on the day of his death to be buried with his bones. A related artifact is hidden in the ruins that will help the party find the location of the missing one. Upon touching the artifact, the party enters a temporal wake and instantly go back 800 years to the day of the murder of said ghost. Now they have a day of investigation and adventure to aid the final death of the protagonist spirit.

Most of Ascension's ideas suggest expansion of dungeon/city/empire which I hadn't even considered at the idea of the challenge. Again, anything applies! I look forward to see some entries soon.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Dangit! I was actually thinking along the lines of the city gone to waste before I read what you had

I think I've had some practice with this concept challenge with the Cruzamento maps..

Anyhow! Off to ponder...

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    - You could show the various additions to a castle and how it grows (structure mapping).
    Hah, I was just about to start one of these! AWESOME, maybe I can enter a challenge at last!

I might participate (for the first time), but not sure yet... going on a holiday in about a week, which leaves precious little time
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Interesting theme. Just curious though, but how exactly are our entries to be formatted? As one map? As two maps, one at one time, one at another? Something else entirely?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

The format is up to you. Practically you can submit only one image though, as our thumbnail scraper just gets the first picture. This means if you want to do four maps to show the passage of time, you should stitch them all together into one picture.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast