Thread: Underwater cable map

Link Underwater cable map

I thought you guys would find this underwater cable map interesting.

Without these cables, the internet would be reallllllly slow.

Original articles:
    http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...rsea-cables-go
    http://www.telegeography.com/product...index.php?p=59

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That is interesting...very very interesting.........
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Interesting stuff...thx for posting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Huh.. my father repaired som of those near alaska a few years back. or rather steered the ship that did. funny.
    Need a name fast or inspiration for one? Click me

Blog Entries

Thats a superb map more for the info in it than the mapping. Why is Greenland so tooled up and the Faroes and other such bizarre places. Looking at google maps of greenland there must be less than a thousand people at the place they have a 1000 miles of fiber to. I don't think were seeing the whole picture there.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Thats a superb map more for the info in it than the mapping. Why is Greenland so tooled up and the Faroes and other such bizarre places. Looking at google maps of greenland there must be less than a thousand people at the place they have a 1000 miles of fiber to. I don't think were seeing the whole picture there.
    Because they need it?

Sat connections are iffy that far north, people there are still going to want telecommunications, and Greenland produces a TONNE of digital data because of research/exploration.

And it also provides a redundant connection between Europe and North America.

That map might come in handy for a modern day Call of Cthulhu game where the cables keep getting destroyed by unknown forces and the players are members of the survey team sent out to find what's going on.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Member

None at all in the Gulf of Mexico. Interesting.

I'm pretty sure that the map doesn't actually show the correct paths, just the schematic "A connects to B" sort of thing. Laying cable is expensive, but so is fixing it, especially undersea. If I were laying cable I would try to keep the undersea runs reasonably short, especially if I need repeater stations. A Canada-Greenland-Iceland-Faeroe-Scotland link runs 2500ish subsea miles with several hauling-out points, while a direct New York to England route is more on the order of 3300 miles with no hauling out point (3700 with a stopover in the Azores).