Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conlang community?

Question Conlang community?

Does anyone know of an online community anything like this for conlangers?

I guess to some extent if I were to make a language for a country I'm going to map, it'd be slightly relevant here, or at least at the CBG (which seems kinda dead?), but I figure it'd be nice with a friendly bunch of folks like around here, focusing on language construction and such.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard Belgrave!

...and thanks for posting that link.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The CBG isn't dead at all. Its just much smaller and tighter knit than the CG. In fact the CBG has a resident linguist (limetom) if you want to contact him about conlang ideas. He's already done a bit on the topic.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice to know - I guess compared to this place, most small communities seem a bit slow-moving Also, I suppose, showing off your half-way-done map is going to draw a lot of ideas and comments because it's at least somewhat likely you'll finish, while showing off a half-done compaign world will give you mostly shrugs. They are quite aplenty, after all, and most never go anywhere. Ah well...

Quote Originally Posted by Belgrave View Post
    I was also gonna post this link, but with the remark that it isn't exactly full of nice and friendly people.

http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/conlang.html -- an active mailing list

You might also check out:
    http://conlang.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Qwynegold View Post
    I was also gonna post this link, but with the remark that it isn't exactly full of nice and friendly people.
    They're a pretty nice group, actually. I just don't feel like I'm up enough on my IPA, X-SAMPA and conjugations of whatever to avoid ridicule. Oh, did I mention they're nice people.

Thanks y'all - going to register on the zompist board, looks like they know where their towels are

I'm hoping to start work on a conlang and blog about the progress using my WordBuilder app.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

When you get a chance, can you report back on your experience there?

I had a looksie at their forums, and even though I've spent a good bit of free time over the past couple years studying and learning what I can about linguistics, I still found a good chunk of what I read there rather confusing and opaque (granted, studying over two years only in your free time still = relative noob), and the general tone occassionally off-putting.

On a semi-related note... how capable is your Word Builder (still haven't had a chance to install and play with it) in taking an existing word bank of imagined words and mutating them in patterned ways to form new words for a child language of the original language that provided the initial word bank?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast