Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: September 2009 Entry: Passage of Time - Woadsbury

Wip September 2009 Entry: Passage of Time - Woadsbury

Well, maybe I'm disqualified because I actually (barely!) started this map before the announcement, as part of a collaborative project in my local writers group. But I'ma thread it as a WIP anyway.

1 & 2 - This is pretty much where I was when the challenge was announced: our chosen site in England on the River Ouse, and Buckingham palace set in for scale for the baron's castle on the hill.

3 - Added a terrain heightmap with a gradient ramp*. The idea is, the baron's castle sits on a hill overlooking the town. There is a sheer cliff dropping from the castle's prominence down to the river. There will be bridges upstream and downstream from the cliff.

4 - The first gradient ramp sucked so I redid it. Much happier with this approach. Added a little elevation scale to the side, also. Is 65ft a good height for a modest cliff face?

5 - The grayscale heightmap.
    * I learned about the Gradient Ramp feature thanks to Cartographer's Guild! Been using Photoshop literally since 1990, and I keep discovering new features! I also learned about the Shape Burst here. Keep the tips coming, CG! Yu guyz rawk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w01-google.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	16544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w02-scale-buckingham-palace.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	16545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w03-first-elevation-map.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	16546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w04-elevation-v2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	16547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w05-heightmap.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	16548  

As long as you aren't submitting finished maps that you did before the challenge, everything is OK. Thanks for participating. Now knock my socks off
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

65 sounds good enough to me...too tall for scaling ladders and towers to be used, in a sense it provides some protection and the wall on top can be thinner or shorter there plus it gives a little flair. Flair is good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Flair is the idea, yes. I don't want a Peter Jackson cliff. I want something imposing but believable.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Good to see you jumping in on a challenge Toff!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

06- I've ditched & redone my Google Maps landgrab. It wasn't big enough, especially to the north where I need the town to spread some. Instead of just extending it with another Google Maps screenshot, I went and got Google Earth and stitched together four screenshots. It wasn't much better than just regular Google Maps, really. Just more fun.

07 - ... which means I had to redo the elevation map, again, which I don't mind because it's fun painting up thousands of cubic yards of earth with a photoshop brush. You guys ever move any earth? I mean, like with a shovel? It is seriously hard work. And I build all the Woadsbury elevations while sitting on my couch, under the A/C.

08 - Screenshot of the gradient ramp colors and the Curves Adjustment Layer. I drew ten straight lines in the Curves, to give the gradient that stair-step effect. I suppose I could have posterized my elevation grayscale, but then I'd have to keep posterizing it every time I edited the terrain, or I'd have to keep choosing different shades of gray to paint with, meh. This is way easier. Plus, any time I want, I can draw eight lines in the Curves Adjustment instead of ten ... or twelve ... whatever. This is totally the easy compartmentalized way to go.

09 - I have it in mind that I want to do six distinct "time snapshots" run along the bottom of a general area map. I'm not sure I'm happy with the layout, but this is what I currently have. I want to do not only the castle, but also the town, as they grow. Ugh, I hadn't intended to do a whole town map here yet, let alone six town maps. Ugh. My projects have a way of exploding in every direction, and I end up making huge concessions just because of time. We hates it, precious; we wants infinite time to work, yes!

10 - I'm including an "area cheat" in the top right corner: southern England, and a zoom-in of Woadsbury and the county seat, Northampton. I have room under the area cheat to put some notes, or maybe just the title. Who knows. I don't know.

Name:	w06-new-area-from-Google-Earth.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	16586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w07-third-elevation.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	16587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w08-gradient-and-stairsteps.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	16588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w09-layout-six-thumbs.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	16589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w10-upper-right-zoom.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	16590  

Last edited by töff; 09-06-2009 at 01:08 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Terraforming and digging ditches is much more enjoyable when one does not have to leave the comforts of the couch This looks nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well, I want to do the evolving castle & town on different layers, lined up so I can see them. But Photoshop does not allow layer options for a SmartObject (like InDesign allows for a placed graphic) dammit ... so ... I think what I'll do is set up a layered Photoshop file, and then just use layer comps and save down flat JPGs. Workflow!

Post YouTube - Painting Woadsbury Elevations

Last edited by töff; 09-19-2009 at 09:58 PM.

So I did a fancy forest, and added a series of roads and trails ... and lost all my work UGH. Not sure how it happened. Somehow, I closed a SmartObject without saving the changes, I think, who knows. Might have been due to filling up my hard drive. Sheesh. Approx two hours down the toilet. What a feeling!

Anyway, I went back and redid the woods, and also added a stream from the forest. I need to do the roads elsewhere, anyway, because they will change over time, which is the aspect of the challenge, anyway! ... and btw, what's the deadline? Sep 30?

Name:	w11-woods.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	16950  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast