Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first WIP

Wip My first WIP

Hello, everyone. Be gentle, it's my first time.

Attached is a basic WIP of the yet-unnamed islands in my campaign world that the elves fled to when the human empire was first establishing its dominion on the main continent. They now live a simple subsistence lifestyle in harmony with nature, wearing little more than warpaint and grass skirts, praying to wooden idols of their gods, and generally eschewing both technology and magic, blah blah blah. You don't care about all that. You're here for the map.

Here it is, so far. I made it using RobA's GIMP tutorial for regional maps. I can salvage the basic land shape from the .xcf if I need to restart from scratch. I plan to make regional maps for each major area of the world and then stitch them together into a world map, and make political maps in addition to the topographic ones using the base land shapes. The jungle bump maps need to be cleaned up a bit and I just feel it's lacking something. Probably a lot of somethings. Thoughts? Comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elven Islands WIP.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	16549  
    Last edited by Gregorus Prime; 09-07-2009 at 03:41 AM.

Actually, we care about the story as well
    A good map conveys a story I think...

Anyway, nice map so far. Nice colors and the land is well done. Not too sure about the mountains... they look a lot like brown blobs at the moment. I suck at this style though, so I can't really help you improve them. I think you made it difficult for yourself by creating islands with just a small mountain on them

The smaller islands are all round. You might want to experiment with different shapes. I think it will make the map look more realistic.

Don't let anything in my comment discourage you, you really are on the right track.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

There's only so much I can do to the little islands before they lose so much detail that they might as well not be there.

I haven't even tried my hand at any of the other tutorials yet. GIMP isn't quite as hard to learn as I thought it would be, seeing as how I've used Photoshop before, but there's still a steep learning curve here. The fact that the only artwork I've done in the past is simple sketches and some basic figure drawing doesn't help much. These are supposed to be tropical, and the tutorial in question was focused on a temperate region that was mostly land, so I should probably do some more practice maps before I start getting into this.
    Last edited by Gregorus Prime; 09-04-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Tropical shouldn't be too hard, actually. Use a more vibrant green and a stronger contrast for the dark bits, thicker looking texture (though that doesn't seem relevant to this style), place more of it than you would for a temperate region, and you should be good.

I'm not familiar with the style/tutorial you're using so I can't offer much in the way of advice for the mountains (plus never worked with gimp). If there's a way to overlay the jungle over the base of the mountains so they climb up a bit in irregular patterns, that could help some.

As to the smaller islands, i notice you're at 1200x1200 for the image size - if you're comfortable working at, say, 2000x2000 you can stretch things out a bit to allow for more detail on the smaller islands (assuming your machine can deal with it).

Nice work overall so far though, keep working at it!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

It will take time to get comfortable with the software... practice enough though and you will be able to create some amazing stuff.

I wimped out and purchased Campaign Cartographer 3
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

There's no trouble with my machine being able to handle a large image.

I actually went the GIMP route after, er... "demoing" CC3. The redraw rate on that program when you have just a few simple style sheet effects active is ridiculously slow. And really, the only thing that appealed to me about CC3 was all the fractal line/poly options, which makes it easy to make realistic-looking land. But the "not-so-random coastlines" method demoed elsewhere here eliminates my need for that, and the program can make much prettier maps at the expense of not being easily scaled. But I have Inkscape for that, don't I?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it. Your mountains are pretty good when compared to some others that I've seen. The only thing I would change are the island shapes, as mentioned. I'd make them more like cigars, long and thin but also sort of twisty...in your case here, don't make them thinner just longer and maybe bendy. Maybe combine two into one. The resulting shapes will sort of create a rhythm and movement to the whole that causes the eye to flow from one shape to the next (which you already have due to the "string of pearls" effect). Make them smaller and smaller as you get further away from a big island. Think of your big islands as mountain tops and the smaller islands as footie hills.

Since you're just learning, though, I think you've done a great job so far so keep up the good work. I think you're just touching the tip of the iceberg of what you're capable of doing because you have a very solid start and that usually means good things to come.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Please. When I follow that awesome tutorial that RobA posted this map practically draws itself. I'm just working from some sketches and I think that if I get this stuff done correctly it will really wow my D&D group and maybe even convince them to let me run the campaign.

Thanks for the support and suggestions. I think I like it here.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's really a pretty darn nice map for what is pretty much a 'first-go'.

Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it in no time, I was absolutely terrible when I first started. Now I'm just slightly horrible.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here's a redux hot off the presses, sans vegetation. I can't get the mountains to get quite craggy enough. I'm using a Gaussian blur and spread to set up the bump map, but I'm thinking I should touch them up with a fading brush before I do that again.

And of course I'm not sure how I'm going to get one or two of them to look like volcanoes. A bit more black in the center when making the bump map, then a lava layer mask and some spread lava-colored gradients?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elven Islands redux.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	16553  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast