Thread: Intros

Post Intros

Greetings and Salutations forum and everyone! I realize this thread could either go to the map WIP area or stay here in introductions (or both?).

That said, I would call myself a total amateur at this stuff (as everyone is at one point I suppose). Mostly I'd say I'm here and I've joined for the main purpose of creating various world and regional maps in varying styles all based on the fantasy-based universe I'm slowly in the works of making.

I've been browsing and lurking your wonderful forum for a week/few days now and I thought that I would greet you all and hopefully improve my artistic style and skills with the help of this forum and those who dwell therein.

At this particular moment, all I really have to show is a single map, created solely with a mouse and a year of Paint.Net drawing and a week of GIMP 2 and the aid of this forum.

The map I've made shows (I hope I've attached it to this post correctly) the entire surface of the planet, created in a traditional parchment rectangular-shaped map. The lay of the land, oceans, and mountains I've been drawing by hand and 'perfecting' slowly over the last year or so.

Just recently, after having found this forum, I got GIMP 2 and starting improving my map with it. I used some tutorials I've read on this site to help me out a little bit, so this map is roughly how I'd like my world to look.

I realize that there aren't any names on the map at present, I have some but they're a WIP. The mountains are roughly where i want them, if not as good as I'd like them to look.

I used the cloud effect tutorial to make the background parchment paper, then duplicated it and darkened the area where land is. I tried various mountain tutorials, but none feel right for the scale of my map.

Right now I think I'm done with this particular map, although I'd like to alter the polar regions to make them look more realistic and I'd like to curve the sides a bit to make it more 'globe-ish'.

Additionally I'd like to create a 'satellite' style map, with blue oceans, dark mountains with white caps, yellow deserts, green fertile lands, the works. I'd like to also create a larger map with more detailed areas, or else several smaller, more detailed maps of different areas.

Anyways, I realize that that was quite a long 'speech' but I thought I'd give you all a good idea of what I'm working on and trying to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WorldMap.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	792.2 KB 
ID:	16550  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild.

We all feel your frustration at making mountains because we, well most of us, struggle with them continually. I would suggest looking at the Finished Maps section and see if something there inspires you; even if the scale is bigger than what you want you can always make smaller versions. As for the rest I'd say it looks good except for being too yellow - maybe more of a tan would do. On your to do list is get some mountains that you like then put in the rivers, maybe put in some forests if you want (we struggle with those frequently as well) and then do the labeling. You have a good start now ya just gotta do the tweaking...we love tweaking. But don't change the landmass shapes, those are nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

...and thanks for posting up what you're working on.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the guild Xandder!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave