Thread: WIP: Myrisia... and trouble with mountains

Guild Apprentice

Help WIP: Myrisia... and trouble with mountains

I'm working on a number of versions of a map for my campaign setting. I'm using Eastern Mediterranean history any mythology for inspiration and I'm using the map as a base.

This particular map is supposed to look like an artist's depiction of the map that might be commissioned by a wealthy noble. I will be adding borders, cities, etc later.

At the moment, I'm stuck on the mountains. I can't figure out how to make satisfactory look or border. Ideally, I'd like to have a hand-drawn look to the mountains but I'm not sure how to do it in PhotoShop. I'd be open to another style if it looked good.

I have one additional constraint... I'm using CS1 so I can't follow many of the tutorials without some modification. If you know a good tutorial, please link me to it however.

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP Myrisia.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	16557  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Maybe try going the symbol route, the various brushes available should (hopefully) work with almost any version of Photoshop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This tutorial for hand-drawn mountains is fantastic. I'm *extremely* artistically challenged and following it even I can draw some pretty cool ones.

Guild Apprentice

The hand drawn route is probably best for me. I'm fairly new to digital mapping so I didn't realize I could create my own brushes that way. I've been doing maps by hand much longer so drawing the mountains won't be a problem.