Thread: WIP Continent of Karanor

Guild Novice

Wip WIP Continent of Karanor

So I thought I'd just put up a sketch of my world map. This is the map I'm gonna try and to drawn in Photoshop in different styles as a learning process. That is both learning PS and how to draw maps proper. The outline of this map was hand-drawn and scanned into an old Photoshop 5.5 and then the mountains and forests were drawn by mouse. Way back... Already I have plans to change some of the coastline and archipelagoes, especially in the southern part by the desert.

First I'll try the Pasis style which I like alot and in the process get more comfortable with Photoshop.

Later I'll redo this map in Sepia as I quite like the brown parchment old school hand-drawn (wacom pen) style too.

So now that I've told everyone on this forum, I'll have to finish this project or embarass myself

The map is showing the main continent of the world Eldreth. It is a world, like so many, which has been changed by a cataclysm, The Shadow Cataclysm, which basically was a great civil war among a near Immortal race, which held great powers of magic. The civil war was incited (unknown to them) by their very own father who has hunted them through many worlds to avenge the greatest sin of his children, namely the theft of their mother's heart which enhanced their considerable magic powers.
    The Cataclysm has left the world with few spellcaster and few materials can hold magical energies for more than a few months before it erodes. All the Immortals were destroyed in the war but that is not known by the people of the Eldreth who believe the ascended to godhood and worship them as such.

The continent of Karanor is generally temperate to sub-tropical, snow and ice only existing on the very highest of mountains even during winter time. The world of Eldreth is a plane rather than a planet and as such has no poles. This will probably cause all sorts of geographical, meteological and other problems that I'm not aware of, but hey.. its just fantasy.

I'll post more background along with map progressions. Someday I might even get around to mapping all the different kingdoms and regions in detail.

Hope you like.

P.s.

I have Imagined this to be aroound the size of Europe but I'm not very good with scales so perhaps that will change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent of Karanor web.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	759.0 KB 
ID:	16619  
    Last edited by Lucas_Adorn; 09-06-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Need a name fast or inspiration for one? Click me

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it just the way it is...very nice. But I understand your desire for learning new things. Keep up the nice work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I agree, I like this map a lot as is. But as a constant style-experimenter I can understand the temptation!

Wanted to let you know though, that a lot of your place names sound really familiar (Parth Galen for example is from the Lord of the Rings) -- unless it's in homage, in which case disregard

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks nice...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I agree with the above posters. It looks really nice as is.

I also can understand you want to try new things.

Just post what you have and brace for impact for a lot of suggestions.

Very, very nice. Have some rep!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Novice

Thanks all. I like it simple too which is why I'll use this as a base for when I try the sepia style.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I agree, I like this map a lot as is. But as a constant style-experimenter I can understand the temptation!

Wanted to let you know though, that a lot of your place names sound really familiar (Parth Galen for example is from the Lord of the Rings) -- unless it's in homage, in which case disregard
    This was not intentional, but I might have been subconsciously influenced because no doubt I have, like so many other, been inspired by Tolkien, not to mention Robert E. Howard, Lovecraft, George R.R. Martin, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms etc. etc. I actually hate using names that have been used before or sound too familiar with well known products. But as it is sometimes you come up with a name you really like only to find that either you have actually read it somewhere before or its been used later by someone.
    For Instance take the name Kalamar, which I used for the first time some twenty years ago when I first started working on this world (it looked alot different back then), it has later been used as the name for a whole D20 setting, but I'm too stubborn to change a name that I in the first place came up with myself. At least to the best of my knowledge.
    Anyway, Parth Galen is one of my favourites too so I'm not gonna change that either and in the end its like music. There's so much of it nowadays that you can hardly create new without it sounding just slightly like something thats already been done

* actually, travelling back through some of the dusty cobwebbed caverns that is my brain, I realize that some of the names (like Ascavalon) are actually placeholder names for when I come up with something better. The problem is they have been for so long that I have almost forgotten to change them. hmm... perhaps I should clean up in here...*

Cheers
    L
    Last edited by Lucas_Adorn; 09-07-2009 at 03:40 AM.

If you avoid using a name that was mentioned somewhere else, then eventually you can't use anything. Parth Galen wasn't a major location in LOTR, so I wouldn't worry. If on the other hand, your main town was Bree or Dree, and you had a castle named Delm's Deep, then I would worry a little more.

I have found that names that I used, that I thought were pretty unique, ended up being some obscure character from the Silmarillion, or one of the unfinished tales or something.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    If you avoid using a name that was mentioned somewhere else, then eventually you can't use anything. Parth Galen wasn't a major location in LOTR, so I wouldn't worry. If on the other hand, your main town was Bree or Dree, and you had a castle named Delm's Deep, then I would worry a little more.

I have found that names that I used, that I thought were pretty unique, ended up being some obscure character from the Silmarillion, or one of the unfinished tales or something.
    This post made me laugh

Is there a location in LOTR called exactly Parth Galen or is it just similar? I thought I knew alot about LOTR but I obviously have more to learn can't remember that one.

Blog Entries

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Parth_Galen

It's where the fellowship camped at the time that it was broken.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt