Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: September Entry: Voyage of the Godslayer

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip September Entry: Voyage of the Godslayer

The whole reason that I got into mapping in the first place was to someday make this map in a satellite style so that I could walk the land of my favorite story. Some fanboy I turned out to be...I just learned that David Eddings passed away back in June and his wife, Leigh, had passed away 2 years ago. So this map will serve as a small mock up for a larger work...an homage to a story that has influenced me more than any other thing in this world, the two people who wrote it, and the cartographer (Shelly Shapiro) who originally mapped it. I will be following the hero and noting important events in his life. The larger one that I, eventually, do will follow his grandfather, the Eternal Man, the Old Wolf...my mentor.

I'll be putting in the towns and roads next and then start the actual voyage of Garion. You'll notice that it isn't in satellite style but something more artistic...I feel that I owe it to them. There will be much more to come but this is what I have so far after one day.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Godslayer Map - The Ascension.jpg 
Views:	1789 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	16630  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The Estuary Police (me) like this map!

Some other people in the Sep. challenge (me) will fear it.

Blog Entries

Eddings and later, Jordan, were my inspirations. Tolkein would have been proud. Nice map Ascension, though it's been so long since I read Eddings that I barely remember any of the geography.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great start! As someone who has reread these two series so many times that I've worn out 3 separate sets of the books, I can't wait to see the finished product

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ok, so here's where I am at on the map - started the labels, roads, and the route...about halfway through book 3 (going to Prolgu). Now I'm going to get a snack and go to bed.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Godslayer Map - The Ascension.jpg 
Views:	4089 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	16636  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Eddings died??? I knew his wife did, but didn't get the news on his demise.
    Darn! The Belgariad was the second fantasy series I read, after the Lord of the Rings. I was 12 or something back then.

Great map so far... it really makes the world come alive again for me.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

This is excellent! The map is so beautiful and I love the colours used, it's my favourite green and blue.

I have one small problem with it though and that's the road colour. It differs from the rivers only because of the outline on the road but I think a different colour entirely would be better suited for roads.
    The ongoing sketchpad - Craig's Sketchpad (NEW)
    Design and web services - CJ Productions
    All the latest at my personal blog - Craig John
    Photoshop Training Podcast - Graphic Basics (currently on hold)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool so far...I'm also a big Belgariad/Mallorean fan.

My only nit-pick is the fiber(?) effect, it makes the whole map seem kind of blurry - at least to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Belgariad was a fabulous set of books. I credit Eddings with the best character banter of any book. Though I liked the story I did find that it was just a tour round a fantasy world. The Mallorean I liked but less as I found that the two sets of books told much the same story.

This map looks like its going to be a corker again. I like the color range this time. I don't feel as though I will have to set my card gamma or my monitor brightness to see it properly.

I agree with above comments that the path taken is like the river color and also that this cloth weave type thing on the top is a bit strong. I made a version without it just to see what that would look like. I think something with it in but less strong was best for me tho.

I like the font and the lettering in general. Its been so long since I read it last that I forget where he goes exactly but I recall that its basically all over the place.

Blog Entries

My only suggestion would be to use political borders that aren't beveled. Everything else seems to be "flat", so the beveled lines really pop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast