Thread: The Port of Marascar

Post The Port of Marascar

This is the first fully designed city map I ever created, which I made for the players of my personal campaign. I styled it after a few city maps I saw in the Cityscape which were made by Mike Schley.

Once part of an old, now nearly forgotten nation, Marascar was absorbed upon that nation's collapse by the expansion of a new and powerful empire. Over the centuries it has become a rough and tumble port city supported by slaving, mercenaries, and a large foreign market just outside the southern wall. Order is maintained by soldiers and disciples of the God-king of the empire, who overlook the city from a Temple compound perched on the western cliffs.

EDIT: Tree modification.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marascar-final.jpg 
Views:	962 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	16658  
    Last edited by MysticMagellan; 09-07-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Tree Soup

Praise Nice Job, MM!

Nice job, MM! Though you were inspired my Schley's maps, I'd like to think my having you try your hand at city mapping with Oten-jo, gave you some tools and experience for tackling another city map! I'd REP you, but I need to rep others first, but I'll catch up to you.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I was able to rep you
    Very nice map. Layout looks very realistic and I love the simple style of the houses. The cliffs and fortress are very well done. It's professional quality I think... a map worthy to be included in some module for example.

So how much time did it take you to create this map?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

With your forests, I like the color and texture but not the bevel...looks like spilled soup or something Maybe if you had some empty spaces in there, shrug, I dunno. Outstanding otherwise with everything else.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm w/Ascension regarding the trees... everything else is very good.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Eww.. you're right about the forests. When I did this map a while back I was trying to imitate a certain style, but I think I disabled the drop shadow somewhere along the way, which might have helped, but the smoothness of the edge does give a spilled soup look. I also noticed something else that bothers me about the forest layer, so I'm going to tweak it a tiny bit and update the image.

What programm do you use?
    Very nice job

For this map I laid out the roads in Illustrator, but everything else is Photoshop.

Outstanding work.

I love how clean the lines are. The illustrator work really shows nicely. My favorite part is the ocean and the slight wave details you painted in there.

You may just want to make your forests out of individual trees and definitely go easier on their outlines.
    Last edited by Tom_Cardin; 09-16-2009 at 01:45 PM.