Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eastern peninsula

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

By the way, i don't know if you've already thought of this, but what I did when working on a series of maps in the same world is to copy the layers across to a blank template map as is (and make sure they are clearly labeled, heh) then just select all and delete, that way I *know* the layer effects are consistent throughout. This also makes it easier if you're planning on stitching them together later, that way you can copy in the original landmass, move it over so there's overlap, and then seamlessly continue the terrain from existing work.
    And definitely label your textures clearly, and save your pattern file often in the relevant directory

(learned through hard experience there)

If you've already thought of it, more power to you (just thinking ahead as one new mapper to another, heh)
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 09-07-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo-tastic!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

That's a good tip! I've thought of something similar and I'm keeping close track of which colurs I use and other adjustments done to the map to ensure consistency.

Here's an update with grass and roads added, I've also added an overlay to blend the colours.

Next up is placing towns, castles etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Östra halvön vägar.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	16706  
    Hannibal ante porcos!

Maps
    Eohl Galactic Chart The Shuayie Peninsula

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Whoa, nice map Andartar, very nice.

I tried to do pasis's style once myself but could never get it right but you seem to have gotten it no problem. Love to see more. Repped.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing that I can say is that the forests around the mountains are kinda dark but everything else about them looks good. Maybe try putting a new layer on top of the forests and airbrushing some lighter green in to lighten them up a tad or two. The forests on the grasslands look real nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That forest texture is making me feel all warm and happy. Then, suddenly, angry and envious that I can't seem to get that effect.

Nice job.

Holy Smoly... still improving on Pasis his style I see. Very nice!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The only thing that I can say is that the forests around the mountains are kinda dark but everything else about them looks good. Maybe try putting a new layer on top of the forests and airbrushing some lighter green in to lighten them up a tad or two. The forests on the grasslands look real nice.
    Yes it all became a bit dark and blurry in that version, so I've lightened it up a bit and cut down on the grass.

Su_liam: Thank you I've used a pineforest texture for the darker areas, other than that it's Pasis' forest texture and a hue/saturation layer.
    Hannibal ante porcos!

Maps

Time for an update, I've added a border and cartouche. The towns etc are all placed and some other stuff.

(The scale is: 1 mile = 1,95 km
    1 league = 2,5 miles; 4,8 km)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halvö klar.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	16760  
    Last edited by Andartar; 09-11-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Forgot scale.
    Hannibal ante porcos!

Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I'm finding a bit challenging to follow some of the borders, especially where they go through forests.

That's the only thing I could add, this is bloody gorgeous. As much as I'm settling into my own style for this sort of map, this has me rethinking the direction I'm going

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast