Thread: Civilization in Decline

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Map Civilization in Decline

My work with AslanC's New Dawn of the West caught someone's eye . I was provided with a pencil sketch, and asked to do up a proper looking antique map, with a satellite view to compliment it.
    The client has given permission for me to display these maps as part of my portfolio, and since most of that portfolio lives online here, I can show it off to y'all

After a bit of discussion, it was determined that the antiqued version would have been taken along on one or more military campaigns, and included in a few exploration parties. So I did up the original printed map, and then added handwritten notes to supplement things that the original scribe left out. As you can see, the map's been through a few rough spots Any discrepancies between the two are being viewed as inaccuracies caused by the scribe of the printed map.

The basic concept behind the area is that the middle portion, now a loose collection of city-states, was once part of a mighty empire. That empire has crumbled, and the lands between cities has gone to the wild, plants grow where they wll, splintered tribes war among each other, and nasty critters now stalk the land. The only thing keeping the cities alive are the trade routes that move between the still prospering civilizations on either side (Grune Empire and Vasgothian Sultanates).

Unlike my previous works, this on will have a CC license added to the post.
    (I may start adding that as a matter of course, but less restrictive than the one on these maps).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	working1 copy.jpg 
Views:	1022 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	16651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overhead copy.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	16652  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 09-07-2009 at 11:47 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Top quality! Grade AAA! I rep thee.

Thanks! Credit where it's due, it's the tutorials from this site plus the feedback on previous maps (yes, i really do listen to it all) that led me to this

Extra special thanks to Ascension, pasis, kittrellbj and wag

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Very nice maps indeed. My only nitpick would be that the Gloomwood looks a bit bright and peaceful for a forest which such a name. But this could be deliberate of course.

More rep from me then, although I advice you to carefully read the message that came with the rep, my friend...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Very nice maps indeed. My only nitpick would be that the Gloomwood looks a bit bright and peaceful for a forest which such a name. But this could be deliberate of course.

More rep from me then, although I advice you to carefully read the message that came with the rep, my friend...

Good point about the Gloomwood. I think what influenced me in this case was on AslanC's map, he had a similarly named forest,. When I made it dark and dreary, i got the comment that it wasn't supposed to be that dark and dreary.. that likely stayed with me subconsciously through this creation process. But, the client loved it and wanted no changes, so, I went with it.

*proceeds to phear Gandwarf*
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 09-07-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typos

My finished maps

Fabulous work, once again. I really like the dunes in the satellite version of the map. I'll have to work on something like that when I get back to my own desert empire map. I also really like the distressing on the hand-drawn map, although I was hoping to see more scrawling based on the description!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Good point about the Gloomwood. I think what influenced me in this case was on AslanC's map, he had a similarly named forest,. When I made it dark and dreary, i got the comment that it wasn't supposed to be that dark and dreary.

Yeah yeah, all my fault

Excellent maps, you can really see that he is a fan of Conan in the generalities of the map.

I would rep you but I did too recently for the Mining map.

AslanC: yes, everything is your fault. Accept that and move along

msa: actually i have plans for another map in the near future that will include exactly what you're talking about.. much more extensive with the local encounter notations I've been thinking along those lines for the last month or so, but I kept having other projects come up. Now that I only have one project left on the backburner (and that one's waiting on someone else, and lower priority anyhow) I think I'll start on it.

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.