Thread: Civilization in Decline

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Map Civilization in Decline

My work with AslanC's New Dawn of the West caught someone's eye . I was provided with a pencil sketch, and asked to do up a proper looking antique map, with a satellite view to compliment it.
    The client has given permission for me to display these maps as part of my portfolio, and since most of that portfolio lives online here, I can show it off to y'all

After a bit of discussion, it was determined that the antiqued version would have been taken along on one or more military campaigns, and included in a few exploration parties. So I did up the original printed map, and then added handwritten notes to supplement things that the original scribe left out. As you can see, the map's been through a few rough spots Any discrepancies between the two are being viewed as inaccuracies caused by the scribe of the printed map.

The basic concept behind the area is that the middle portion, now a loose collection of city-states, was once part of a mighty empire. That empire has crumbled, and the lands between cities has gone to the wild, plants grow where they wll, splintered tribes war among each other, and nasty critters now stalk the land. The only thing keeping the cities alive are the trade routes that move between the still prospering civilizations on either side (Grune Empire and Vasgothian Sultanates).

Unlike my previous works, this on will have a CC license added to the post.
    (I may start adding that as a matter of course, but less restrictive than the one on these maps).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	working1 copy.jpg 
Views:	1022 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	16651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overhead copy.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	16652  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 09-07-2009 at 11:47 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."