Thread: The Tomb of Baroch

Post The Tomb of Baroch

Hi Everyone,

This interior map is a 32 inch by 30 inch battle grid (hence the sparseness - room for miniatures!) for Tesseract Engine's Strange Cartography series. It's an interior map of some mineworks which have broken through into an ancient tomb. The map has been build in 3d - modelled in Silo and textured and rendered in Modo, and has had some post-pro in Photoshop. There are a few more details, and angles and stuff, up on my portfolio site. I hope people like it!

Cheers all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tombOfBaroch.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	741.8 KB 
ID:	16987  

Guild Journeyer

Not half bad. I'd never have guessed it was modeled in 3D. The mine looks way to regular for a hand dug tunnel, but otherwise a very good map.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by wormspeaker View Post
    The mine looks way to regular for a hand dug tunnel
    Yeah, that's very much down to the fact that this is primarily a battle grid, which means it has to (on the main) conform to a strict grid. Not at all realistic, but more 'playable'.

Thanks for the compliments (and the rep!) mate.

Guild Journeyer

Visual appeal takes a back seat to functionality on a battle-map, but I think there are a few things that can be done to make the tunnel look a little more natural. One would be to make it less of a straight North-South run and instead make one end a few squares to the left.

Also, you can indicate the navigable squares separate from the visual background like so, allowing you more freedom in the outer shape of the walls.

If you are using D&D, diagonal movement is allowed so the below image is tactically sound.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tunnel.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	16989  
    Last edited by wormspeaker; 09-22-2009 at 12:55 PM.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Visual appeal takes a back seat to functionality on a battle-map, but I think there are a few things that can be done to make the tunnel look a little more natural. One would be to make it less of a straight North-South run and instead make one end a few squares to the left.

Also, you can indicate the navigable squares separate from the visual background like so, allowing you more freedom in the outer shape of the walls.

If you are using D&D, diagonal movement is allowed so the below image is tactically sound.
    Ah, I get ya. Thanks mate, I'll think more about that in future! Ta.

Guild Journeyer

Actually in 4th edition you are unable to move on that diagonal because of the walls.