Thread: Regional Map Test

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Post Regional Map Test

Hi there!
    I was wanting some opinions on the two small lakes I have in this map. The background other than the mountains (Thanks to RobAs simple mountains in gimp tutorial-Rob, you are THE man!) is a pattern I found on Genetica Viewer, but it matched what I had envisioned this region as so much I decided to use it anyway. It actually worked great with placing the river and the lake using the defined areas of the pattern. If you notice, the river starts from a black spot that could be a cave - so its showing up from an underground source and meanders into a small lake following the lay of the land. I used a darker earth tone for the water, then an even darker one in the center areas and gave it a good blur to try to create depth and I reduced the opacity down to about 80% to let the background show through a bit as details in the lake bed. I figured the water would be mostly clear anyhow, maybe a bit muddy, so I was happy enough. I was just kind of looking for a critique on that aspect of the map. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheGrocklands.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	667.5 KB 
ID:	16657  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It looks nice - the whole cave-river-lake thing works fine. The color scheme as a whole makes it difficult (at least for me) to really make out a lot of the details.

The Genetica viewer is fantastic, I use those textures all the time.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I fully agree with the general... the map looks very promising, but the color scheme kinda mucks things up
    This map seems to scream for some more colors, so things can start to make some more sense.

You get some reputation from me though for posting this map.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the "wasteland" thing that you're going for here. I wouldn't change anything except the lakes/water. To that end I'm not real sure what I would do with them either I'd either go lighter or darker just to make them stand out more...darker would look better from an aesthetics point of view but lighter I just don't know. So I'd test both but probably go darker. Very nice whatever you decide to do and nothing really major, just minor tweaks. Good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps