Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maps for Printing - Tips?

Post You're not out of line at all.

No problems at all. What I didn't say in my previous post is that I use Photoshop to do the CMYK conversion as well. However my printer also has a built-in CMYK converter, so if I send an RGB file to the printer, it automatically converts to CMYK. Printing is always CMYK.

My issue is that when I try to open an already converted CMYK file in Photoshop I have terrible problems getting color consistency. I would much rather receive RGB files and do the CMYK conversion myself.

Client's creating CMYK files usually fail. So only send me RGB. I will certainly only output CMYK, but in the method that works best for me.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Lucky for me, I've been printing for so many years that once I open a client's map file, I know to up the brightness 12% and print and I can come very close to what is on the monitor. I almost never need to print more than one time per job. <snip>

I don't profile my monitor to my printer, I do it all by eye.
    The pro's advantage, and the reason that I do very little important printing myself. There's no substitute for experience in printing. And having a better printer than the $250 all-in-one that I got for free six years ago.

Thanks for that 12% pointer, by the way!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post Please note...

Please note that the 12% brightness factor pertains to my current specific printer, as my previous printer required only a 9% brightness increase. The brightness factor is entirely dependant on your specific printer. 12% may not work for you - you need to know your printer, as I do mine.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I see. Well, maybe someday I'll do some experiments. Probably not, though. I'd rather just send it to someone like you—way less frustrating.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hey guys, thanks for all that great information!

Can you double-check my logic quick? If I'm going to print at 200dpi resolution, and a computer screen is ~100dpi, to get an idea of what it will look like printed I need to view at 50%?

Post sorry, no

Sorry, its hard see what the print will look like between sceen and print. If the map has been created at 100 ppi, then that's all you can print. Look at it at 200% for something close.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Hrm ... isn't that backwards? I'm confused.

The image is 7200x5500 pixels, to be printed at 200dpi to 36" wide. When I look at it at 100% in gimp (pixel for pixel), isn't that viewing it as if I was blowing it up to 72" wide?

Post I guess you're right

I guess you're right. Again, what you see on the screen doesn't truly match the print, since color is shown differently from screen to print - it doesn't quite coincide, but seeing the pixel level is at 50% from screen view is correct.

You're right.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Cool, thanks! I'm trying to walk a very fine line between fuzz and detail, and this screen-to-print thing has been hurting my brain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12