Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pathania - WIP

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wip Pathania - WIP

Just a random map, my first go at using Ascension's Atlas tutorial. I must've done something wrong in the early going, because the terrain is DARK, but for my first attempt it's passable, I think. I went a different way on rivers and borders, mainly so they show up against that dark terrain. There's some odd pixelation on some of the coastlines that I wasn't sure would look okay, but after putting the stroke in around the land layer, they seem... okay.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Any idea what I did wrong to end up with near-black terrain?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pathania2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	954.0 KB 
ID:	16665  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Dats pretty nifty, i really like the shape of the landmass.

I can't say what might have happened to the brightness though, been awhile since i've gone through that method.

Have you tried turning off layers one by one to track down where it happened? Once you find the culprit, you could try applying some curves or adjusting the levels to brighten it up maybe.

Though Ascension might be a better guru to answer this one

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Well, most of Ascension's stuff is pretty dark (at least on my monitor), so it doesn't surprise me that following his tut you got dark. However, I don't think it looks almost black, in fact I think it looks great. Beholder's eye and all that

Actually, the more I look at it, the more I like the way the colors turned out. I've started putting in the labels, and the dark terrain actually really make them pop.

Name:	Pathania3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	16666  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you want it lighter, then on the Land layer add a color overlay of white and then set the blend mode of the color overlay to soft light...then turn down the opacity of the color overlay to suit you.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. It looks awesome now.

Well, here's the final version:

Name:	PathaniaFinal.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	16683  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sweet delicious goodness The yellow runic fonts are kinda big but I'm no sage when it comes to labels myself.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well originally I was going to use fonts specific to each cultural area to suggest what type of nation it was; Roman, east Asian, Arabic, etc, but all those clashing fonts just looked... bad. This was the best compromise I could reach.

Hey, sorry for jumping in late but I'm liking what I see, good job man.

One critique though, and this is mainly personal taste, but the mountains look a little flat, increasing the bevel depth on the mountains layer to make the peaks stand out a bit more. Ofcourse this is assuming that you haven't merged all the layers together in which case keep it as it is, looks great either way. Repped.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast