Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP for a project...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Post WIP for a project...

Here is what I am currently working on....

Done in 3DS Max with Vue 6 XStream for the terrain...

no post work in PS yet.

C&C welcome.

Sandeman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river_tahn_03_175.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ambush_merchant_177.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	423  

This is a handout to the players, hand drawn in PhCS3

Sandeman

Name:	map_mical_715.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	424  

Thanks for posting these wonderful images! Very well done on all three. Wow.

The top-down ambush shots are very nice, even pre Photoshop touch-up. I especially like the gloomy tone, relaying either an evening or a stormy time frame. Very nice. I do not care for the pine trees, for they are a bit too "wispy" for me, but that's not to say they are not realistic. Beautiful shots.

The map is excellent, as well--especially the font. Do you mind telling us what it is/where you found it? A simple map, very honest style, and so rich in texture. The edges are a bit funky to my eye; what is the blue peeking through between the parchment & the black? Was that on purpose? Also, the compass may be too sloppy in comparison to the text & the rest of the map. Otherwise, this could be in a handbook for player handbook maps, it's so well done. Great, great job!

Welcome to the Guild!!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon
    Thanks for posting these wonderful images! Very well done on all three. Wow.
    Thanks.

The top-down ambush shots are very nice, even pre Photoshop touch-up. I especially like the gloomy tone, relaying either an evening or a stormy time frame. Very nice. I do not care for the pine trees, for they are a bit too "wispy" for me, but that's not to say they are not realistic. Beautiful shots.
    Thank you for noticing the atmosphere. I have been playing around with HDRI lighting, and environment effects. You hit it bang on with the environment being gloomy/dark.

The map is excellent, as well--especially the font. Do you mind telling us what it is/where you found it?
    Sure. The font's name is Aqualine. You can find it here:

http://www.scrapvillage.com/fontsa.htm

A simple map, very honest style, and so rich in texture. The edges are a bit funky to my eye; what is the blue peeking through between the parchment & the black? Was that on purpose?
    Hmm.... It seems that something did not sit well when I converted the map to JPG format. Something I will have to go in and check. As for the texture, I built it up with grunge brushes in Photoshop. Perhaps my burning layer accidentally got set to normal for the layer style. I will have to go in and fix that.

Also, the compass may be too sloppy in comparison to the text & the rest of the map. Otherwise, this could be in a handbook for player handbook maps, it's so well done. Great, great job!
    I see what you are saying. In the context of the story though, the compass rose was added to the map after the fact, by the person who gives the map to the players. That is why it is in a different hand so to speak.

Welcome to the Guild!!!
    Thank you. I look forward to sharing some of my experiments with you all. Perhaps there will even be a tutorial someday, for those looking to use Vue for their terrains. (And if I could ever figure out how to record it. )

Sandeman

Post Another WIP

This here is for another part of the adventure, an ambush in the middle of the night.

Done completely in VUE 6, this is a test of HDRI + Volumentric light effects. I realize it will need some work, but it is here for C&C anyway.

Sandeman

Name:	northwold_ambush_07_694.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	431  

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am totally in love with the Vue6 stuff...everything I've ever seen done with that is just awesome. Very impressive stuff...could you possibly post a perspective view just for fun?

As a 3d studio max 9 user, I'm very interested in 3d mapping, I just don't have the time I'd like to devote to it.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Nice maps. They look very nice. Too bad I am not very good at 3D modeling.

What will the final media be for the ambush maps? On-screen or printed?

(That last one had some serious gamma issues on my notebook screen...I could barely make anything out.)

-Rob A>

This will be a screen image for sure. I do have it saved in a format that could be good for the printer, but that would be prohibitive, as the color space for this image is way off the scale.

As for Gamma issues.... I know it may be a little dark, but have you calibrated your display recently? Something that is very important to do, especially if you are working on images.

I will try to get something on the go for the perspective images....

Sandeman

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana
    I am totally in love with the Vue6 stuff...everything I've ever seen done with that is just awesome. Very impressive stuff...could you possibly post a perspective view just for fun?

As a 3d studio max 9 user, I'm very interested in 3d mapping, I just don't have the time I'd like to devote to it.
    I have been slowly trying to learn 3DS for just that. How has your experience been with modeling? I am still trying to find the time to model through a series of gothic architecture. I plan to use Vue 6 for the terrain, and 3DS Max for the buildings.

I should have a perspective view of my campfire by morning.

Sandeman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast