Thread: The Empire & Other Lesser Kingdoms

Wip The Empire & Other Lesser Kingdoms

So I am starting another map and here is what I have after a good 9 minutes of fiddling around in Photoshop. Base land masses made in Fractal Terrains Pro (how I love that program!)

I am going for an old-timey look with this map, hence the base texture and lack of colour. I probably will pair down on the image size when I am done with it because as it is it is stupidly large.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire WIP copy.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	16681  
    Last edited by nutranurse; 09-08-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like how you used the texturizer around the edge to create, what I assume will be, a woodcut effect. Neat idea Hit that with the ripple filter and you can get some wavy lines....something for me to play around with.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Great idea! Here's what I have now + your suggestion Ascension.

I am not so sure I am digging the grey ocean... Any thoughts?

Name:	Empire WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	16685  
    Last edited by nutranurse; 09-08-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Create a parchment layer (or several depending on which tutorial that you follow) and then stick this on top of the layer stack and set the blend mode to multiply...this will make the grays and blacks become dark browns and blacks while the whites will have no influence. Voila, antique map You can then go back and erase the stuff that you don't want (I expect the ocean to come out too dark) and then put a stroke around the landmass, etc.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Alright, I'll search for those tutorials. For the mean time here is where I am.

Theme is quasi-Grecian names.

I am not too pleased with how the desert sands turned out but oh well.

Actually I think I am going to redo this whole thing from scratch using Ascension's awesome antique stype map. It'll help me break away from relying on Fractal Terrains so much and give me a chance to fiddle with CS3 some more!

I lied, I am doing both types! Here is what I have so far with your suggestions, Ascension.

Name:	Empire WIP 3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	16687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire WIP 4.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	16688  
    Last edited by nutranurse; 09-08-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Aaaand here is more work. I am digging it, but I messed up on the stroke and went too far for me to really correct it. Still, I am going to try.

It vexes me. Thoughts?

Name:	Empire WIP 5.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	16692  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks pretty cool!

As far as the stroke goes, is there a way you can either
    A) lower the opacity on the outer, 'water' stroke to make it more transparent,
    or B) Fill in the area between the 'water' stroke and the landmass stroke with something similar/same as the ocean colors? Possibly both?

Yeah, I am redoing the strokes from scratch now that I kind of know what I am doing, though I am also doing another map using Ascension's tutorial.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the more colorful versions much better.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, but in the end I scrapped the map. At least it was a good exercise I can build off of!