Thread: More Experimenting or "Gods! What is he trying to do now?"

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip More Experimenting or "Gods! What is he trying to do now?"

Slow day at work, so I started playing around with some other ways of creating forests and mountains - well essentially just modified versions of my 'stacked layer method'.

Now the example below is primarily the mountain experiment. I know that the shapes aren't realistic as far as ranges go but they are easily modified in the early stages and this is more of an experiment to see how it works.

1. New Layer - Clouds - Trace Contour (Upper or Lower doesn't matter), this essentially gives you the same effect as 'Threshold' without filling any areas in.
    2. Fill in the areas you want to keep, delete the rest. Definitely want to avoid overly thick spots like in the upper-left.
    3. The rest is a matter of stacking several textured layers on top of one another to get the desired affect. The hills were added last though you could do them at anytime, they just need to be below the first layer of Mountains.

There are some small clumps of trees in there which I was playing around with before I posted this.

If anyone wants more detail on this let me know. It's pretty strait forward and easily customizable to your favorite colors/textures/etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mtn_Test_090909_v1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	16710  
    Last edited by Steel General; 09-09-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

fun thing and good luck geting anythig more out of it
    But sorry I can´t understand the point of having half random mountains, they would just be in unrealistic places that you have to fix

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If you get random shapes that you like and move them to the general area you want mountains to appear, it can look more natural and less forced than drawing them in by hand (it took a fair bit of practice for me to get the hang of that.. i'm not entirely conviced i *have* gotten the hang of it, to be honest)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    If you get random shapes that you like and move them to the general area you want mountains to appear, it can look more natural and less forced than drawing them in by hand...
    I'm with ya CM, and this was just a way to kill some time.

Is it a great solution? Not really, ut if someone finds a way to make use of it then it was worthwhile, and the first two steps can be used to make random land masses with suitable, 'craggy' coasts.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.