i've searched and searched and cannot seem to find a greyhawk map that matches my desires.

so i'm making one. ^^

i started with the abyss-darlene-terence hunt-cy589-map. i have been cutting and pasting (for weeks) and have accomplished the following:

• removal of all text to a separate layer.
  • creation and population and clean-up of a legend-map key-layer containing one of every kind of city tile and every kind of terrain tile.
  • the removal of all rivers to another layer.
  • creation of a hex-grid layer which is the precise size of the tiles.
  • some general clean up.
  • patching all the holes made by removing the text and rivers with clean terrain tiles.

i have the following goals, and thought i'd get some input from some fellow grey-talkers and general advice from any interested mappers, just in case there is something else that would be useful. ^^

here is my to-do list:

• complete redrawing of the rivers in a more appropriate lighter blue color, plus my cut and paste work has left holes in the rivers due to text and cities and so forth. i also wish i had maps of zoomed in areas so that i could "accurately" place the rivers. i know there are some around certain regions, but that is a whole 'nother order of work. ^^ in any case, the rivers will all be on their own layer.
  • cleaning up the text, or replacing it entirely with a known and findable font. i have quite a few i've downloaded, but none look quite like the font used on the existing map. when i'm finished with the text, it will be on it's own layer.
  • all city will be replaced with a clean terrain tile underneath, and my cleaned-up-with-transparency city tiles on top. city tiles will also be on a separate layer.
  • contemplating including a political layer with faint transparent coloration for all the various geo-political boundaries.
  • contemplating including all the referenced non-humanoid and otherwise minor kingdoms passingly mentioned in the gazetteer and living gazetteer, plus any other sources. would have to pretty much make up the boundaries which might result in two layers, one defining the general region, and the other coloring made-up specific boundaries.
  • contemplating a layer coloring the territories claimed by dragons and such like various entities.
  • contemplating making a new tile to represent the great rift.

at the very least, my end result will be a map having a background base layer, and layers which can be selectively turned on or off: rivers, cities, and text. thus you can have a clean flaaness map, or you can rename the cities or whatever else you care to label. or the entire map can be tossed and the terrain and city tiles can be used to make a bright-new map.

feedback and suggestions are welcome. if desired i can post some screenshots of the work-in-progress highlighting the various accomplishments.