Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The finished Everlandia Maps

This is one of my favorite continental maps that I have seen. The finely detailed coastline are incredible! I can't find anything negative to say about this one.

Thnx for all the comments guys, makes this pain of map worth it.

@ShrannBeldworf - I can't really put up a tut as it is mostly Ascension's style, just heavily experimented with. The coast, however, was me, so here's how i did it.

Following Ascension's style, on the "land" layer add an outer glow of papyrus (ffe0c0) at size 11, increase or decrease as you see fit. This is the sandy beach and is only really noticeable when you really zoom in so feel free to leave it out.

The get the lighting effect on the water, add a new layer on top of the "ocean copy" layer but under the "shelf" layer. Ctrl-click the shelf and expand the selection by 100 pixels, feather the selection by 50 pixels and fill the selection with white. Now as any selection can only be expanded by a maximum of 100 pixels, Ctrl-click the shelf layer again and expand by 100 pixels three times so we have selection of 300 pixels out from the coast, save this selection. Feather the selection by 50 pixels and go select inverse, fill the selection with 25% gray. Load the saved selection and expand by another two lots of 100 pixels so that selection is now 500 pixels from the coast. Again feather by again 50 pixels and inverse the selection, fill with 50% grey. Next, add a gaussian blur of 200 pixels, this'll blend all of the colours into each other and make the transition form shallow to deep water smoother. Finally change the layer style to overlay so that the ocean layers underneath will show through.

If you want to you can keep expanding the slections, adding 75% grey at 700 pixels out and finally black at 900% pixels. These sizes are great for continental maps, feel free to expand or decrease the sizes for world maps and regional maps respectively. The formula is simple for this technique, the selections are coloured at equal intervals, the feather on the selection is always half of what the selection was expanded by, e.g. 25 feather for a 50 expansion, and the final blur is always double of what the expansion was.

As always, feel free to experiment until you find something that suits you. Hope people find this useful.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Sorry to ask, but I remember looking around here back when this map had been a WIP, not having any of the routes, cities or countries... and wondered if you still had a blank version of it?

Um, I might have one buried somewhere in my laptop somewhere. I hope you don't think I'm rude in asking but what will the map be used for? I'm very protective of this particular map.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

well, it is your map, so not rude for wondering whats going to go on with your hard work.

I had been hoping to use it as a world map in an irc dnd rpg I'm making. It's one of the best maps I've found, and so I was desiring to use it for such, if at all possible.

Sorry Antone, but I can't seem to find the disk with the WIPs of this map anywhere, I can get you a WIP of one of my other maps, just not Laer Ia'Bor. My laptop still has troubles running that map.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

I have no problem with that... I did really like that map, but don't exactly need it persay. I just wanted something of quality like that to use for my game... I don't exactly know how to find may way through things on here to look at all the maps, so if you have other maps, I'd certainly be up for viewing them and seeing if any jump out at me. ^_^

Awesome map!

Guild Applicant

Hello LonewandererD. That is a truly wonderful map. I was wondering if I can use it in a personal (possibly commercial down the line sometime) project? I'm willing to pay a little incentive if that's what's required.

My email is thunderlord7 at hotmail dot co dot uk.

Agent009, unfortunately you cannot use this map for any personal use, especially not any commercial, I'm sorry but I'm a little over protective with this map it was the first major project i did that turned out right.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast