Thread: Maybe some inspiration

Link Maybe some inspiration

I came across this: http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2007/01...al-worlds.html which is an artist who builds little models of big buildings and photographs them to look like big, old, empty buildings.

One of the comments in that post took me on a little journey that ended up with Albert Speer, the architect, and "Germania" which was Hitler's vision of a rebuilt Berlin.

Some of the architectural models and drawings are amazing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welthauptstadt_Germania
    http://kunst.gymszbad.de/nationalsoz...7-germania.htm (I can't read German, but the photos are nice)

This all made me recall a book I hear about on CBC called "Unbuilt Toronto: The City that Never Was" which documents the projects that were never built and proposes what the city might have looked like!

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you've ever seen the History Channel show called Lost Worlds they have an episode on Hitler's Lost Berlin and feature Speer's undone work throughout. Pretty interesting.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

They're splendid photo's, would never have geussed that they are in fact models.. (I might've suspected something like photoshop.. but still, they're done VERY well!), indeed.. quite inspirational.

For the people that prefer stuff in a more fantasy genre, my main hobby is hirst arts, fantasy architecture for games like warhammer, wargods of aegyptus, warlords, etc.
    Perhaps some might find it interesting to look at such builds for inspiration.
    The forum holds many, MANY photos from builds (and include some of my own somewhere).
    http://hirstarts.yuku.com/bhirstarts for the forum
    http://www.hirstarts.com for the main site

Figured it was in the same area as the topic, so might aswell promote another fun and addicting hobby eh =)

That's a great site, Imahilus. Thanks for sharing. I would love to build fantasy architecture models - but I wouldn't know what to do with them afterwards!

I've stumbled across Hirst Arts before. Some of the sci-fi scenery is on my long-term shopping list.

Imahilus, just to be clear, are you saying you're the guy behind Hirst Arts, running the business as a hobby, or are you a user/hobbyist and the site is a favourite of yours?

Ravells, you use them as scenery in face-to-face games (remember those, guys?)
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Nonononono! =X (I wish I was that skilled at sculpting and modelling =P )
    Definitly not the man behind hirst arts, but I have been into the hobby for years now, and posted most of my projects on the forum.
    I don't really use what I build for games.. I just build for fun.

I'm sorry, but I found the notion of Imahilus being the guy behind Hirst Arts extremely amusing (mostly cause I know Imahilus relatively well).

The actual guy behind the scenes is Bruce Hirst (Thus the name Hirst Arts). He actually designs and sells the molds full time (and at Gencon every year).

If you are looking for terrain built using Hirst Arts stuff, I do run an licensed store selling casts, kits & builds of Hirst Arts products (and a couple originals as well). Personally I mostly do D&D and Star Wars, so am a big fan of gaming terrain to bring the table top experience more 'alive' for both myself and my players.

I do also build custom pieces for people (most recent was a set of modular defensive walls that measure 4' x 2' x 1') and am willing to build/design terrain for anyone. Feel free to drop me an e-mail or stop by my site.

Naloomi's Workshop

Naloomi

Love the SketchUp stuff. Might have to try that myself.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Apprentice

Anybody has the floor plan of that world capital germania? I'd love to see that.

From the TV show that I saw it looked like The Capitol Building that the US congress works in - the thing with the big dome - but Germania was about 2 or 3 times bigger. The interior was laid out more rectangularly with a giant podium/stand/dais at one end for the loonies to stand at and soliloquize all day long.