Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I said i was a bad artist/cartographer

Post I said i was a bad artist/cartographer

And i realize that i have not proven it, well this is my current map, its finished, its suppose to be the basic layout of the necropolis for my campaign, Oh and i don't make realistic maps so if something in this map is odd or not realistic then a wizard did it (usually a named wizard with a detailed back story and life and ambitions of his own with a good reason for doing it but a wizard non the less). Oh and the darker/shaded area inside the cave/city is lava (or whatever its called when its underground) because in this area of the world if you dig deep enough you will find lave (a again a wizard did it). So now you know what i meant by what i said when i introduced myself and why i don't post more maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img024.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	726.7 KB 
ID:	16751  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I see nothing wrong with it...I like it
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looks good even if it violates my preference for clusters of joined buildings. But hey, still a cool city.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

Actually I think that the clustered boxes are fitting in this map. It adds to the feeling of graveyardiness
    Need a name fast or inspiration for one? Click me

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

It reminds me a lot of the New Orleans cemetaries.

http://ciderpresshill.com/blogs/neworleans/C44/

Perfect for a necropolis!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I see nothing wrong with it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

It's called magma when it's underground.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Don't call yourself a bad artist - I quite like it.

that's very nice of all of you to say, i know i will never be as good as the people who post their maps regularly but it's nice of all of you to say you don't find much wrong with it (oh and thanks for telling me it was magma). The city has some story with it but I don't think anyone want to here it.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Sometimes it's the story that brings out the details. I like the stories, and i actually do read them.

And keep working at it, the only way to get better is to practice.

Think of it from this perspective - your map may not be as pretty as some others, but pretty is not what makes a map. yours is clearly laid out, easy to follow, and doesn't distract from it's purpose. If you dropped it in front of someone who had never been there before, and they needed to find their way around, could they use your map to do so? In your case, absolutely. That's actually something I'm striving to get back to, mine are sometimes more complicated than they need to be

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast