Thread: Traveller Map based on UWP List

Post Traveller Map based on UWP List

(Copied from my blog post.)

There is an amazing Traveller Map API available out there. Specifically, there's a service that will produce a PDF based on your UWP list. But you know how it is. I bet half the Traveller referees are trying to code up subsector generators and mappers. Me too!

Here's my SVG Mapper for Traveller. It comes with example data so you can figure out what format it expects by looking at it. Just klick the Submit button! Remember, you need a browser that knows how to deal with SVG files – Firefox will do.

Source code is available. I got to reuse some of my abandoned Old School Hex Mapper. And figuring out the trigonometry stuff is fun.

Very nice! I saw the traveller subsector pdf mapper on the T20 traveller website and was very impressed.

I tried substituting some data in the list but it didn't seem to work all of the time. Not sure if there needs to be a certain number of spaces between each item of data like name / uwp etc.

Very clear though. I like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I tried substituting some data in the list but it didn't seem to work all of the time.
    Thanks. I can think of several things:

The code currently expects the tech-level to be a decimal number, not a hex code. So if you supply tech level A-F, it fails.

There is no standard for how to indicate a mix of bases. The traditional UWP code tries to code all combinations into a single byte where as I just handle the letters RSNCTG to draw the appropriate base or a gas giant. If you tried any other letter or number instead, it fails.

I'd be interested in fixing the script to handle whatever people expect it to handle. If you could provide a list of UWP entries that failed, I'll take a look.

Also, I realized that empty hexes didn't contain coordinates, so I fixed that.

Blog Entries

Thats extremely cool. I cant believe you sent all that data over the URL tho - lol.

Hehe, you're right. I should change that.

I also documented the format.
    Last edited by kensanata; 09-18-2009 at 05:03 AM.

Ya, I love Travellermap.com

It would be a little easier to make a map if it worked off of tab delineation though.
    Last edited by someguy; 09-20-2009 at 11:57 PM.