Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: September Entry: Unexpected Int-Eruption

Actually it's probably something as simple as visual association.
    Your eye sees clear blue left and a dead vertical line for smoke blue right. Your brain probably interprets that the thin border should do the same. If the border had its own colour weight (instead of being a grey-ish-blue-ish) then it would probably not suffer as much from the effect.

Or the 2-second version: Optical Illusion

Blog Entries

That occurred to me too, but then I put my hand over the water and the frame remained two-tinted, so I suspect it's a sneaky opacity or layer style issue.

I was curious too so I took a screengrab of the frame only. Definitely a tint change. If anything the lighter sea ought to have made the border on the right look darker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tint.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	16902  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I can't figure it out, I went through every possible layer that I thought might have caused it and turned off all the effects - then added them back one-by-one.

Can't find what's causing it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Check this on the Layer Styles panel. If the area circled in red is checked then it will take any opacity change (ie anything less than 100%) or any blend mode change (ie anything other than normal) and sort of merge the entire layer style and apply it to the layer itself. This will make the layer sort of semi-transparent or semi-blended.

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	16905  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

OK, I'll check that tomorrow - thx!

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Presumably the frame is on it's own layer right at the top?

Here's an idea for a possible workaround, although it won't tell us why the tint is happening, and it assumes that your frame is on the top layer. Make a selection of the inside of your frame and invert it and then delete all information in all the layers under the frame of the inverted selection so you only have transparent pixels under the frame.

That might sort it.

Map Finally, I think I figured it out...

OK, after checking through everyone's various ideas and becoming quite frustrated. I took one more shot at trying to clear up the 'tint change'.

I basically went through each layer/layer set 1 by 1 turning on and off every style. Finally I found the culprit, it turned out to be the pattern/texture I was using for the frame. I must've overlooked that before *rolls eyes at himself*.

So I switched to a different texture and the issue seems to have sorted it out, or I'm just so sick of it I don't see it anymore.

Thanks for all of the udeas/suggestions.

So here we go, final version.

###Latest WIP###

Name:	Unexpected Int-Eruption_v4.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	16915  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I missed a couple of stages there while I was wrestling with my PC upgrade, but I love the new border and the smoke is perfect.

What a great (and hard to judge) challenge this is turning out to be!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123