Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: September Entry: Unexpected Int-Eruption

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Map September Entry: Unexpected Int-Eruption

Like for my last couple of challenge entries, I will caveat this by saying I hopefully will have time to finish. Things at work are very much in flux and of course they are telling us nothing.

Basic back story - Large group of refugees (100+) fleeing various types of oppression in their homeland travel around for weeks and 'stumble' upon what appears to be an idyllic place to call "home". Though the island has a volcano, from all appearances it appears to be dormant/inactive...

Obviously this is the 'before' image and though largely complete I still need to add some details. I may also re-do the trees/forests and tweak the "surf".

C&C welcome and encouraged.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unexpected Int-Eruption_v1.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	16767  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow Steel General, you really improved your style over the last couple of months. Very nice!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Looking good!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The light blue sea overwhelms my eyes and make the forest and volcano look very dark, maybe lighten those up just a tad. The volcano looks rockin
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Dang that's nice.

Are those trees done with a texture, or are they (as I suspect) generated as they go?

I love the beaches too!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks guys...

@Ascension - I'll probably darken the seas some, or at least add a darker portion to break up all that 'light-ness'

@Coyotemax - The trees are a bastardized (and somewhat poorly done) version of Ascension's trees from his Godslayer map (too many 'blobs' on the initial layer), that's why I may re-do them. So to answer your question there is a texture used (actually a couple).

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip ...and here's todays update!

OK, made quite bit of progress on this since my initial posting;

1. Darkened the ocean/sea on the 'before' image (good suggestion on that Ascension
    2. Re-vamped the forests (I think they look much better)
    3. Added the 'refugee' ships and basic structures they built in their short time on the island
    4. Added the 'after' map (it is purposely hazy because of the ash,etc.)
    5. Added a simple frame (which I may change)
    6. Added basic labeling; title, compass rose, scale bar, etc.

I may add some additional info/labeling - still making up my mind on how much to actually include on the map itself. Still debating on having a column of smoke coming up from the crater.

I hope to have a small write up to go along with this at some point, we'll see.

As always any C&C welcomed...

### latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unexpected Int-Eruption_v2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	16820  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great volcano! The lava flows look very photorealistic. I think you're right: some smoke would really add a nice touch.

i like it a lot! great textures...

i wonder though, whether the erruption would change the shape of the island any... like some lava flows might extend the shoreline? i am not sure if that is what would happen or not.

Wow, nice map, but... I feel sorry for the inhabitants of the place...

Are you determining the lava flow with some data or is a free artistic interpretation?

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast