Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canttarcia - WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Canttarcia - WIP

Here is a WIP for critique. I'm trying to get a topographic atlas type style for this and have been trying to get a right 'look' for the map. So far I'm happy with this but any critiques would be helpful. This is based on a world landform with some modifications.

Many thanks.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Topo WIP.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	16777  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Reminds me of antarctica

Looks pretty decent to me, the elevations are very clear, your rivers look very well thought out, I can't really think of anything to add at this point.

Nice!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Love the mountain shapes... I agree with CM don't see anything that need changing at the moment.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

How this looks pretty darn good (archaic expression, I know). The shape of the landmass looks quite realistic. As for what more could be done, I dunno, maybe add some differing water depths to break up the blue.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

How did you make it? In Photoshop?

If you did a tutorial on how to get those elevations would rock

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You can get that with a gradient map on b&w clouds. RobA posted some great sites with gradients that you can download in the Elements section here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Thanks for the link

Now understanding that I am at best a noob with these things, how would I use them? Pretty please?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

In PS, Image - Adjustments - Gradient Map = scroll through your loaded gradients.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think you should move the whole landmass up a bit so it's more centered. All that blue up top attracts the eye, and unless there's going to be a lot of adventures under the sea there's no reason for it to be there.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I'd agree with Gregorus Prime, but that's also a great place for a cartouche and a rose, so I'll wait until it's finished to fully second the centering suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast