Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demagoria - Antique Map Style

Wip Demagoria - Antique Map Style

This is my first try in following Ascension's Antique Map Tutorial and it shows the continent Demagoria. Following the tutorial step by step I had a labeling problem. I added too many towns and villages so it was a problem to add the country names properly. The naming of mountains, seas and other places of interest was not possible. Next time I will start with large fonts and the work down to the smaller labels.

What do you think about the layout etc.? Feel free to criticise, so I can improve the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Demagoria.jpg 
Views:	1276 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	16783  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd say it's a darn nice implementation of Ascensions tutorial.

I really didn't see anything that looked out of place or 'off'.

Keep up the nice work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's pretty darn nice.

This is a very nice crisp brand new look - I just may have to do one like it

Very nicely done, I really have no suggestions to improve on it. I do like how you got the mountain ranges to work with this style - something I was unable to get looking quite right. And the smaller ranges alongside the larger ones - excellent!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Have some rep Katto, that map looks great! Reminds me of some of the maps in the old atlasses at school. Like Steel General already said I don't see anything "off". No critique from me...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nothing from me, I just glanced over it, though. I really like the muted colors of the borders.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thank you all very much. Making the map took much time especially the labeling. When you spend so much time with it, it might be possible to head in the wrong direction therefore I am glad that you like it.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Very cool. I like seeing the different interpretations of the same tutorial.

I started my map with the big text and am working down from there; it just seemed to me that if you wait until all the towns are named, it would be next to impossible to lay in the nation names.

Blog Entries

I may be smoking crack, and by the way it's a lovely map that I really like, but my eyes picks up on the texture of the media, which is a canvas or other woven cloth texture. The style of the map is telling me I should be seeing paper instead of cloth, so it's jarring me. Just a little, mind you, but it is.

You are right Immolate. It is a canvas background and it is a bit overdone.
    I tried a parchment background and I must say the more I look at it, the more I like it.
    Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Demagoria Parchment.jpg 
Views:	1227 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	16821  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast