Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Haibianr - WIP city map

Thanks. Hmm. Brush angle. Nope. I have to go explore how to do that. Thanks for the tip.
    M

Wip Little update...

Had some time tonight while waiting on a call so figured I'd try to finish up this island at least. I've got all of the buildings blocked in. Now to figure out how to finish them. For now I've put on a very light emboss...which doesn't look too bad I guess. I'm going to try to render some details on a small section to see how it turns out...but not tonight. Any suggestions welcome.

@SG: I haven't explored redrawing the bridges yet. Will give your suggestion a go when I do that.

@Coyotemax: Thanks for the rep
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west island.PNG 
Views:	95 
Size:	409.5 KB 
ID:	16984  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 09-22-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Wip Change of direction...

Okay. So. I didn't like the results I was getting from my attempts to freehand the map in Photoshop. I started over, this time with good old pen and paper. This is drawn on 14"x17" smooth bristol using Staedtler pigment liners (0.7 to 0.1, mostly the smaller). I took it to Kinkos and had it scanned at 600 dpi...though they're going to rescan it in color for me because "greyscale" really turned out to be black-and-white halftoning.

My plan is to lay color (light watercolory feel) under the ink lines. I will likely separate the outlines into different layers for buildings, walls, vegetation, etc. so I can treat them differently. Looks like I have to redo the vegetation because my inking there really sucks. I also have to figure out how to convey the impression of the rising terrain surrounding (and under!) the city using color rather than lines.

I'm waiting on my new scan before I do too much work on this...though I'll probably play around with it some.
    M

edit: oh, the funny things on the hills are terraced fields, mostly rice paddies.

Name:	haibianr.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	17283  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-01-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Another comment...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Holy Poop!!

That is an immense amount of work in there, and it looks really good just like it is, fantastic!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

is your hand okay? Did it fall off?

seriously, wow.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Heh, thanks guys. I didn't expect so many replies...or the bucketload of rep. Much appreciated.

@RobA: I took my original scan (p.1 of this thread) and dropped on lines representing 1" squares on my 14"x17" paper used that to transfer a sketch of the coast, rivers, city outline, roads, etc. in pencil. I just roughly suggested the roads in the city area and then started drawing in buildings. Couldn't really sketch the buildings in pencil first as most of them are quite small. I didn't keep track of how long it took...maybe 6-8 hours?

My hand is surprisingly intact! My eyes on the other hand...

Hopefully I'll get a chance to try some coloring tonight.
    M

Blog Entries

That looks really great. I admire your perseverance with it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Wip A little color...

Thanks! Not sure if how often it's kosher to post WIP progress - if I'm overdoing it someone please let me know and I'll slow it down to significant milestones or something. This doesn't look like much but it actually represents several hours of work laying down some basic color, setting up layer masks for painting, etc.

The basic "vegetation layer" (essentially groundcover) is done and ready for fine detailing when I get the rest up to speed. I'm going to work on the underlying ground color next, trying to suggest terrain height and shape. Then I'll work on refining the ugly forests. Staying away from the buildings right now because I want to wait for my new scan - I think it'll lay over what I do here if I stay away from the niggly bits (another technical term).
    M

Name:	Haibianr---hand-drawn.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	17331  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those colors are sweet! Mint green, steel blue, and grayish-teal...very nice eye.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast