Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oten-Jo Antique

Wip Oten-Jo Antique

Hi everyone. Now that the Oten-Jo challenge is over I wanted to post a near-finished alternate version of my entry. When I was researching old Japanese maps I saw a few things I thought were very cool, and this map takes its inspiration from some of them. I'd like to post it in finished maps, but would enjoy any comments before I do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oten-Jo-Antique.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	16502  

Post Awesome!

That looks awesome, MM. I'd Rep you, but I already did in the challenge! Very authentic feel in this one.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Very nice indeed!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Beautiful! I really like the labels and colors. I think I might even like this version better.

If you're going for a very "clean" look, you succeeded. If you want it to have more "realism", you could try applying more texture to the farm fields and water areas. I especially noticed the difference between this version and the full color version in regards to the river. I really like the blue river and ripples it has in your Challenge version better.

To me, it is an interesting hybrid in appearing between hand-drawn and computer-drawn.

I am going for a clean look and I thought hard about the river for this version. I'll add it back in for a comparison a little later.

Avulsion wanted to see a version of this with the river ripples added back in. Any comments on comparing both versions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oten-Jo-Antique-2.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	16634  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Definitely better with the ripples, I think.

Very nice!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I love the style of this map. Beautiful work!

The only improvement I possibly suggest is in the shadowing of the roofs and at the base of the buildings. On the roofs, it seems to me that the shade should be darkest on the back slopes facing directly away from the light source and lighter as they rotate towards the source. Also, it looks like there is a tiny shadow under each building but they seem to be orthagonal to the building base rather than pointing in the same direction - away from the light source. The effect is to make it difficult to tell from which direction the light is coming.

Looking forward to checking out more of your stuff.
    M

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I'm not entirely sure it's really all that better with the ripples than without. Without you get a nice, clean look that seems a bit more realistic from the perspective of this being a handdrawn or inked map. Either way, though, it looks great.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast