Thread: Guten tag!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Guten tag!

Hello from Vancouver, BC. I am Ophiucha, and I am a fantasy writer. I have absolutely no artistic, cartographic including, skills! That's why I stick to words. Nonetheless, everybody loves a good fantasy map and that is why I am here - and maybe if I can find a good computer program I can make better references than some terrible hand-drawns and MS Paint/Photoshop doodles - because that's what I have now.

That aside, I am a metalhead, anime fan, and undeclared student at UBC. Currently aiming for a degree in German or Japanese Studies, but I don't think I'll go through with it - so I may go for -deep breath- Linguistics, Creative Writing, Art History, Curatorial Studies, or maybe even something music-related! Who knows! I am also taking Gaelic, for no particularly good reason.

I might take a class in mapping in my later years (presuming I can ever fit it into my schedule - maybe over the summer or something), and some of my classes (like Linguistics and Creative Writing) are clearly only being taken to help me with writing. I have no aim in life and will probably go to school for six years only to end up working at McD's. Should be fun. Anyway, miscellaneous nonsense... I come from New York (moved out here for school), I like video games, I used to want to be a historian (dropped because I hate modern history, 'cept WWII) and a paleontologist (dropped because I realized that was a science major... no science for me, thanks), I like Astronomy (OBJECTION! THERE IS AN OBVIOUS CONTRADICTION... no, I'll stop), and... I don't know... I like pumpkin pie and baked ziti. :*

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome and have fun poking around. If you like to write or translate then your on a good track, I'd say. I floundered myself until my junior year.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by ophiucha View Post
    maybe if I can find a good computer program I can make better references than some terrible hand-drawns and MS Paint/Photoshop doodles - because that's what I have now. :*
    Gruß Gott aus dem Steigerwald!

If you want a quick entry into excellent but easy mapping, try Fractal Mapper 8. You can download a free demo version (doesn't print or save, but otherwise complete) and the complete tutorial (PDF, also free) at http://www.nbos.com .

If you're interested solely in dungeon mapping, also take a look at the demo version of Dundjinni at http://www.dundjinni.com .
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Thanks to both of you.
    I use a Macbook, so most programs don't work - but as I see the second program has Mac compatibility, I shall wander over in its direction. Don't usually have to make dungeon maps, but when it happens - this seems like a handy tool. Danke vielmals!

Quote Originally Posted by ophiucha View Post
    Thanks to both of you.
    I use a Macbook, so most programs don't work - but as I see the second program has Mac compatibility, I shall wander over in its direction. Don't usually have to make dungeon maps, but when it happens - this seems like a handy tool. Danke vielmals!
    If you're interested in FM8, I believe there's an emulation that will allow it to run trouble free on a Mac. If you want to check out whether my memory is correct, contact Ed Diana at NBOS. The E-Mail address:

mailto:support2@nbos.com
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Welcome to the Guild! And Vancouver

Not sure if Profantasy is Mac Friendly or not, but it might be.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer is certainly something you should check out (if it runs on a Mac that is). That software is great if you want to churn out some decent looking maps quickly.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.