Thread: Greetings and hello!

Post Greetings and hello!

I've only known this site for about two weeks now and I'm already totally blown away by this treasure chest full of helpful tutorials, awesome maps, and vivid discussions. Great community here!

As many of you I'm here because I want to learn how to create really great maps. And of course I want to use those in my rpg campaigns, as most of you seem to do. So I think I'm in the right place.

I've some experience with Photoshop and Corel Draw and I've drawn several not-so-nice maps and floor-plans over the years for my campaigns. Now its time for some quality work. I'm everything but an artist, so I'm in desperate need for good tutorials and tools.

But for now, my first project will be to learn how to use Adobe Illustrator CS3. I know Corel Draw quite well (since version 3), but I'd like to switch to Illustrator and the whole Adobe Creative Suite. Since I love Photoshop, I'm very confident to like Illustrator as well, at least when I learn to know it better.
    The next step would be to do some mapping for my current Exalted (by White Wolf) campaign with Illustrator and Photoshop.

Oh, and I work in the field of "industrial image processing". With image processing techniques - in opposite to image editing - you do not create an image but extract information from an image. Common examples are OCR, face detection, computer vision, and so on. So perhaps I'll find a topic or two where I can contribute something myself. We'll see.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild. Very interesting profession you have there but I'm sure, like all things, it has its ups n downs. You will certainly bring a different kind of expertise to us here and we like that
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome Bunduki. Let's see a work in progress soon
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Welcome. I too like a bit of the ole image processing and have written a few tools for myself. One I like a lot is my spatial filter tho PS has some Fourier tools in some plugin now too. We have talked about these in the past. RobA has taken the ideas gleaned from that and made some plug ins for Gimp too.

Are you a coder with some spare time ? (LOL as if...) too cos there's a few things that if we had it would open up a considerable benefit. You can see a section in the forums for scripted map making. We have some ideas of how to generate some fabulous maps if we can break a few key problems which are difficult but not tremendously hard - a doable project for sure for anyone with more time to spare than I can muster.