Thread: Simple Subterranean Critter Lairs Needed for PDF Product

Guild Novice

Post Simple Subterranean Critter Lairs Needed for PDF Product

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to these boards and I've come looking for help.

I'm putting together the first PDF download for my upcoming e-store and I simply don't have the time to draw maps myself. I'm here looking for someone who is interested in providing two subterranean encounter maps—essentially dragon's lairs—with a little bit of feedback and instruction to fit the critters I've designed.

You will retain all rights to your work and be fully credited. And, naturally, if the PDF(s) starts making money I would be pleased to share with my fine cartographic talent.

Please let me know if you're interested, and thanks very much in advance. Further details below.

Deadline: End of September

Style: I don't have a style in mind, but the nature of the map will require it to be recreated by hand in short order, so the simpler and cleaner, the better.

Description of Map: Two monster lairs, battlemap-sized, subterranean, unworked stone, lots of stalactites and stalagmites with the critter's nest suspended above the ground in a column.

The scale of the map will be approximately 5 feet to the inch.

[semi professional]
    [Required for print and web]
    [Dimensions of map: Approximately 7.5 inches by 5 inches (or pixels)]

The artist will retain copyright of the map
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes for this project only. The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio and to exploit it for commercial gain.

...the nature of the map will require it to be recreated by hand in short order...
    ...battlemap-sized...
    ...The scale of the map will be approximately 5 feet to the inch...
    ...[Dimensions of map: Approximately 7.5 inches by 5 inches (or pixels)]
    Are you after 1 map per page with hexes/squares reduced in size proportionally?
    ...or a map spanning multiple pages with each hex/square actual sized (so only showing one portion of the map per page but it can be printed and tiled together)?

The text 'the nature of the map will require it to be recreated by hand in short order' leads me to believe it's the former option (in which case, I could be interested but it's currently too early in the morning to know for sure)
    ...but the text '...battlemap-sized... ...The scale of the map will be approximately 5 feet to the inch...' makes me think it's the latter which would be too big a time commitment for me at the moment.
    (My confusion is most likely due to the early hour I'm reading this thanks to be unable to sleep last night) :O
    The ongoing sketchpad - Craig's Sketchpad (NEW)
    Design and web services - CJ Productions
    All the latest at my personal blog - Craig John
    Photoshop Training Podcast - Graphic Basics (currently on hold)

Shame it's for end of september

My Life is sooooo busy what with School, Work, MOVING.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

I reckon a random or simple dungeon creator in black & white plus Robs dungeon prettier script would do that job almost autonomously.

Edit - Ike, can you draw the map cave outlines on squared graph paper and scan them in. I reckon if its simple your after that's all the 'work' bit the map needs. All the rest is automated texturing.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-17-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Guild Novice

Hey all, thanks much for the interest!

Craggles, your confusion is all my fault, actually.

What I'm looking for are sample maps that will be scaled way down in the product—I'll provide the map and tell the DM to "draw this or draw the alternative map on page X." Sorry for not explaining it very well before. In the product the maps will fill one 8.5" by 11" page but their recreation will be on a battle-map.

I hope that makes sense.

Hi Neon. I'll probably be asking for more maps as time goes on and I build more products. I appreciate your note, and please feel free and clear to answer the call later on when your schedule opens up.

I'm interested in what you're saying, Redrobes, and I think you could be right. Obviously I want something that looks good, and colour would be nice, but the need is much simpler than that.

Silly question, though—how do you go about doing automated texturing?

Thanks again, all.

Hi Ike,

I'm interested in giving this a go unless anyone else feels they want to.

If you haven't already looked, (it's in my sig), some of my images are available at my sketchpad site including some maps I've drawn. http://craigssketchpad.co.uk/

For this project, I'd be looking to doing something similar as I have done here - http://craigssketchpad.co.uk/2009/07...-school-style/
    but as it's just going to be a single page per map, there's plenty of time to work it up to something like this - http://craigssketchpad.co.uk/2009/09/kobold-lair-map/ which is a finished version of the first link.

The ongoing sketchpad - Craig's Sketchpad (NEW)
    Design and web services - CJ Productions
    All the latest at my personal blog - Craig John
    Photoshop Training Podcast - Graphic Basics (currently on hold)

Guild Novice

Post You've got a deal!

Hey Craggles, your work looks great—I'd feel priveleged to use your art for this project.

You suggested I sketch something out and scan it so you can see what I want—I'll do that as soon as I can, but in the interim I'm contacting you through your contact form at Craig's Sketchpad so we can work out as formal a deal as we need to satisfy us both.

Thanks again for the interest.

Ike

Hey Ike, I just created a map for my personal game similar to the idea that you are describing (and in fact used it as the lair to a wyrmling blue dragon. It can be easily modified for additional stalagmites and the stalagmite nest.

Let me know what you think.

EDIT: looks like you found someone as I was uploading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragon-caves.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	16914