Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Fantasy Map Please

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    It's actually quite liberating to put stuff in where it looks cool rather than obsessing over plate tectonics and weather patterns. I'm having a blast with this, I'm glad I took it on
    And thats why this is going to look so dang cool when you're done. I already love it.

The maps you have the most fun making always turn out the best

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wow!! That looks great. It is coming along really nicely. The tree for wildland looks great and I still love the fire for Holocaust. I have a few questions though. Some of the places have become very hard to see (mostly Delusia and Serpantia). At a later stage are you going to put borders around the nations so it is easier to see where they are? Also you talked mesas. I love the idea (never had any in my games) but I am not sure what you mean totally filled in. Could you point out where the mesas are? Last question, for unearthed, I noticed it was black around the rocks, but then it is bordered by blue. Are you setting it up so there is like a river or lake between Unearthed and the other nations? Either way works, I just need to make sure I note it for my game.

Again, it looks wonderful. Thanks so much. Can't wait to see the next stage.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

@Coyotemax: Thanks, you made me blush lol.

@LadyTear: I'm glad you like it so far

Those places weren't really very mountainous, so their detail will be done in other ways. I am planning on doing borders, but that will probably be the very last thing I do.

The mesas so far are the spines on the dragon's head, and the middle section of blue will be a plateau with sloping sides where the facets of a diamond would normally be. I'm also planning on making the outside of Rockland's geode (between the two mountain ranges already there) highlands.

My plan (but don't get your heart set on it because it's going to be HARD to pull off) is to have the mainland have beaches onto the ocean, and then the ocean just drop away into nothingness for Unearthed. I'm keeping in mind that your players need to be able to get there though, so I'll probably move the chasm a bit so that some of the outer islands are sitting on the very edge. It'll be a real challenge to sail there, but gaming is all about challenge

As always if you need anything changed let me know!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If I bogged myself down in tectonics then I'd never get anywhere because I'd spend all of my time on that...I wanna play not do homework. Let yourself go and mess around...if you're gonna make a mess then make a big one. Looks great so far, maybe use some rivers as lines and not all mountains.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yep, I actually took this on partly because I'd be forced to not do the homework, and think fantastical for a change. A nice skill to have when the ultimate goal of learning this stuff is to map my fantasy novel

I actually was a little worried that I went overboard with mountains; I'm going to have to play with the ratio once I start making rivers and forests for some of the lines.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking forward to watching this develop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sorry haven't posted in a while. I really like the idea of the center of blue to be a plateau, it fits so well. I also like the sound for Unearthed, it sounds like it would look really cool. I am glad you like working on it, hopefully it is providing an interesting and different kind of challenge. Thanks again.

No worries! I finished my other WIP today, so now I can give this my full attention.

Ok, so some progress to post up. I really hate posting stuff this ugly, but 80% of the work in this map is figuring out where terrain goes lol. So, keep in mind that this looks horrible, it's just to get the terrain types in the right place.

I put a working legend on it so you can tell which color means which terrain. The palette will be completely redone; these colors are being used only because they contrast so much.

First Post is without the icon overlay from earlier, second post is with the icon overlay.

I am liking it so far. I really like the way you did Delusia, it is wonderful. I also really like the way the way Floeth looks too, it works well with my idea for it. It would be nice for the mountains to also be whitish (to show that they are also snow covered), dont know if you were planning that or not. If it would be too hard or ruin the look of the snowflake then it is not that big of a deal. Are the swamps near Holocaust in Holocaust or in Dracatic (just to note it for my game). I also like the design for the snake that you picked. I was a little turned off by the Wildlands a first (I was thinking a great big thick forest) but now that I think about it, I really like the way you did it better. It could make for some very interesting adventuring. so far you have added a lot to the game, so thats really cool. I also really like the way Sandlash looks.

Overall, I am very excited. can't wait to see more. Thanks for all the great work you are doing!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast