Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Inn for VTT

Make sure to put in a shout out for MapTool.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Always. It's the least I can do to support it. These maps would never have got made if it weren't for maptool.

Post the RDI my inn

check this out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RDI.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	2104  

Ok, I wanted to get really good at Sketchup, so I took your two-story plans and have started making a model of it. I haven't completed it yet, but here are a couple of stills to show the progess... a lot of mistakes were made and backed out because I'm just not used to how the program works yet. But I've learned quite a bit from this little excercise.

The first shot is from the front... only the 1st story showing, but you can at least see the spiral stairs... those took me a while to figure out, and they float magically because I'm too lazy to fully model them...

The second shot is from the back pointed towards the front door so you can see over the balcony. There's no roof yet. You'll note that I haven't added the second story door, since I made it smaller than the other doors.

If it matters, all the stone walls are 1' thick ( 6" on each side of the imaginary grid line ) The wooden walls are either 6" or 3" thick depending. I used a LOT of interpretation on a lot of these items. ( I really need to model the chandelier as well.... )

Oh and I haven't added all the interior doors or the "gates" ( I assume those are gates for the "courtyard"? )

Name:	CoachingInn1.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	645.1 KB 
ID:	4451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoachingInn2.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	976.0 KB 
ID:	4452  

That's brilliant! Thanks a lot for taking that on, it looks great. I'll be very happy to see how this turns out. This is going to be the most comprehensively mapped Inn ever!

As promised, here it is with roof and doors. These are external shots. If anyone has great art skills, the logo/sign for the Inn would be great!! I can paste any image file as a texture on a cool wooden sign for the front. ( Just make sure it has a transparent background, so the wood will show through )

I still need to add the fireplaces and the chandelier, so when I get those done I'll post internal shots for that.

Question, Do you imagine a stone/brick chimney, or more of a renaissance metal one?

Also, I assume the chandelier is a converted wagon wheel?

Oh.. beds. I also need to add the beds... this model is getting pretty complex....

Is there a name for this inn?

Name:	CoachingInnFront.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	852.4 KB 
ID:	4471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoachingInnBack.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	849.5 KB 
ID:	4472  

It has doubled as the Hart's Desire and Inn of the Leaping Hart before now. I'm happy with those, or we could go with something more directly related to the site - Guildhome or Mapmaker's Rest for example.

A note on the model, the front windows that flank the door go up two stories to get as much natural light into the Common Room as possible.

I thought stone chimneys rather than metal - definitely more a mediaeval Inn than a rennaissance one.

You make the sign, I'll draw the sign image - do you just need a png? Do you want the colours semi transparent to show a wood texture through the paint? I'll knock up a sign when we settle on a name.

the chandelier is actually just a basic wooden construction rather than a wagon wheel as the wagon would need 10 foot tall wheels if it was! My vague thought was a wheel of the style of the chandelier that gets dropped on the cardinal's men early on in the Three Musketeers (Disney version with Charlie Sheen et al). It was from memory though, so it wasn't particularly carefully worked out!

Thanks again for the work on this - it's coming along nicely!

Ah, ok. I guess I didn't notice that the windows went up two stories...

I can set the opacity on the sign image later. Just a png with a transparent background would be fine.

I think I'm liking the whole "collaborative" thing....

edit:

I just noticed that there is a structural problem with the front windows. In order for the windows to extend upwards, it would compromise the flooring for the balcony. I assume in medieval architecture this would be a problem. I may be wrong. I'll think on it, but if you have any thoughts, let me know....
    Last edited by darelf; 06-20-2008 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darelf View Post
    Ah, ok. I guess I didn't notice that the windows went up two stories...

I can set the opacity on the sign image later. Just a png with a transparent background would be fine.

I think I'm liking the whole "collaborative" thing....

edit:

I just noticed that there is a structural problem with the front windows. In order for the windows to extend upwards, it would compromise the flooring for the balcony. I assume in medieval architecture this would be a problem. I may be wrong. I'll think on it, but if you have any thoughts, let me know....

I gave you some rep for this. btw, I have played with Sketch-Up, but not really being an artist, I can't really get anything done worth nothing. How large are the files when you save them? I was wondering if anyone has started gathering fantasy (or sci-fi or modern) buildings/towns/locations into making a modular world view that could be used at the gaming table as a quick "walk through" I know I have seen some amazing screenshots someone posted over on EN World where a guy built a whole dungeon or dwarven type complex (with like a 500 foot stairway even.)

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yep, I noticed that. On the original plan that window was a little further to the west and so pulled away from the balcony a little. You're probably still right though - it would cause a problem for the rafters holding up the first floor. Perhaps just another pair of windows one floor higher then? The wall looks very bare otherwise.

I have to say that I am enjoying the collaborative aspect of it - I draw a 2D map and then someone else comes along and does all the hard work! I'll put together a transparent png for the sign but it might be a couple of days before I get it up due to other things. I'll stick to a standard Hart.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast