Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inn for VTT

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Map Inn for VTT

... and a second map. I've recently been using the VTT Maptool for D&D games (yes another new face here dragged over from those boards) and I was designing a basic coaching inn for a bar room brawl. It was my first attempt at an indoor map and I did everything in Gimp - apart from the horses which are lifted from http://www.rpgmapshare.com.

Anyway, here is the ground floor:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HartLv1.png 
Views:	627 
Size:	938.0 KB 
ID:	549

and here is the 1st floor:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HartLv2.png 
Views:	719 
Size:	588.7 KB 
ID:	550

Again, C&C are very welcome.

Praise

Loved those maps when I saw them at RPTools.net, and still love 'em. One thing I would probably change, and this is just me, is the wood texture. There is just something about it that I don't like. It might be the color saturation or something else, but I would have to think about it some more.

I do like how you did the chandelier though. That clearly illustrates what is going on.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Yes, now that you point it out, the wood is a bit intense. If my laptop comes back from HP without its hard drive being formatted, hopefully I can recover the .xcf version and have a tinker. I could definitely add in some muck on the floor of the inn to break up the repetitve wood texture.

Excellent idea! Throw some hay in with the horses, dirt near the outside doors, various stains in the eating area and on the tables, some soot and burn marks around the fireplaces. Basically make it look more 'lived in'.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Anyone got any good gimp tips for dirtying up maps?

PhotoShop is my weapon so that's all I can offer.

For the soot, I would drop blackish-brown on a new layer above the floor using a noise filter with a high density right around the mouth of the fireplace then use the smudge tool to smudge it in a realistic way. Consider a broom or rags being used to 'clean up' the area.

Hay in the horse's area can be done with symbols, or a custom brush set to a straw color. There are actually a couple brushes in PS that would work, but I don't know if Gimp has such brushes, but considering the size of the community I'm sure someone has one that would work.

All the stains would just be transparent layers over the floor and table layers with a grey fill set to burn or dodge with an opacity of about 10 to 25%. Whatever looks good.

Ah, well any and all photoshop tips are welcome. I'm happy to fit them around Gimp and most stuff can be translated without too much difficulty.

The straw I've done already for the hayloft on the first floor (bottom right) and in the .xcf file I'd done it for the horses too.

As for the stains, they're good tips. I'll have a go at that. Thanks for the pointers.

Hi Torstan

Great map! Its good to see someone doing things at that sort of scale, that can ne used for VT play or even miniatures. This place is already full of the huge scale, world building megalomaniac types .

When it comes to dirtying up the place, there are some great scratch and scuff mark overlays over at the dundjinni forums that would look good. Gimp's good old "coffee stain fu" might also create quite a nice effect.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    When it comes to dirtying up the place, there are some great scratch and scuff mark overlays over at the dundjinni forums that would look good. Gimp's good old "coffee stain fu" might also create quite a nice effect.
    Can you provide us with some links or what to search for on the Dundjinni forums, and also what does the "coffee stain fu" refer to, for us nonGimp users?

It's a script in gimp that adds coffee stains and other muck to a picture. I've never played with it, but that's an excellent idea. I'll definitely have a go with that when I get the .xcf file back!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast